stacked text

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
captmike
Model of CNC Machine: shapeoko 3 xxl

stacked text

Post by captmike »

I have watched all related videos and I am still having difficulty although I thin it needs a little tweaking. Here is what I have completed so far. The top first name Mike and the symbol & looks like I am close but, the Verna name looks as if it is carving into the letters. Spent 3 days but, I am tenacious and won't give up. Thanks Mike
Attachments
HELP ME, this has aged me 10 years in 3 days
HELP ME, this has aged me 10 years in 3 days

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: stacked text

Post by highpockets »

Have you watched this video?
John
Maker of Chips

RalphPitz
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus

Post by RalphPitz »

Mike,
I like to use layers to keep things simple. If I make a mistake I can go back to an earlier layer and get the vectors I need. Only the last two layers contain the vectors that I made my pocket cuts from. Sorry, haven't figured out this file sharing thing yet otherwise I'd send you this crv3d file. Here are a couple of pictures of the vectors I used for the pocket cuts. Good Luck!
Attachments
Mike.jpg
FirstCut.jpg
SecondCut.jpg

captmike
Model of CNC Machine: shapeoko 3 xxl

Post by captmike »

Thank you Ralph. I have used zoom to focus, convert to curves and welded each layer and grouped them. I have watched all related videos and still had no luck. I will conquer this . Thanks again Mike

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

This might help (and the posts around it), but it hasn't been upgraded in years. viewtopic.php?p=178771#p178771
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

jerry carney
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot desktop

Post by jerry carney »

Stacked text was one of my biggest challenges, but years ago the video (high pockets ) referenced got me stacking text.
Follow it close and it all falls in place. ( lol) Happy stacking. JERRY

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The following is going to sound blunt and curt but it's intention is to help not hinder.

I am going to run contrary to what has been suggested here. I don't think you need to watch yet another video on this subject. You've indicated that you've watched a plurality of them already.

Looking at the result you've got so far shows that the simplest part of the process is still not correct. That is making the "Mike & Verna" cut look good.

Let's step back and just pretend that the "Mike & Verna" text is the only thing we are looking to create (ignore the RUNYAN part of things).

If you were going to just cut the "Mike & Verna" text in that frame using a "V-Carve / Engraving" (VE) toolpath and layers what might you need?
  • a layer called "frame" that contains the vector for the decorative frame
  • a layer called "m and v" that contains the "Mike & Verna" text
  • an idea of how deep the area within the frame and surrounding the text will be (call it d1)
That's it. When creating the VE toolpath use the "Selector..." button in the Vector Selection area. Choose "Selected layers only". Check the "frame" & "m and v" layers and the "Associate with toolpath" option.

Your "Start Depth" will be 0 and your "Flat Depth" will be set to d1 from above. Done.

This is the same whether it's the only item in the frame or whether it's sitting on some other text (RUNYAN in your case).

I am now going to be contrary—again. I think you should watch one more video and that is one of the "official" Vectric tutorial videos (which you may well have already watched). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHo8ozz4Nhg

But, don't just watch it. Follow along with it substituting your own text for the sample text (i.e. "Mike & Verna" for "GRANGE" and "RUNYAN" for "ROAD") and use your own depths. By the end of the video you should have a working file.

Along the way use the "File > Increment and Save" (Ctrl+_Alt+S) after major steps ("and now we're going to" moments) so that if things start to go pear-shaped you can go back to a previous numbered save to try again.

The PDF at the link posted by Tex_Lawrence is a decent one and could be used as a cheat sheet while working through this.

Stacked text is really quite simple but you have to think about what's happening not just passively follow along.

Steven