Pocket Allowance

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WMS
Model of CNC Machine: SS23

Pocket Allowance

Post by WMS »

Does the pocket allowance impact both the sides of the pocket and the depth, or just sides.
Im looking for a way to make the sides slightly larger without redrawing the part, but I dont want to impact the depth.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Pocket Allowance

Post by TReischl »

Just do it. Then hover your mouse over the pocket to see what the depth actually is.

Or, you can also find that information on the tool path listing.

BTW, I think using the pocket "allowance" is a lousy way to do it. When I need to tune a pocket I just Edit the tool and adjust the diameter a tad. If I want the pocket wider and deeper I make the tool a bit smaller. Remember, the Edit does not change the tool database, just the info for that cut.

That being said the best way in my opinion is to change the actual pocket vectors using the offset tool usually. That way if I ever come back to the project there is not a bunch of mysterious "adjustments" buried in the project.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Ok, I'll bite. Why is using the field in the software for exactly the required purpose a lousy way to do it compared to lying about the size of the tool to the software?

The allowance only effects the sides and not the bottom. That is controlled by the cut depth.

WMS

Post by WMS »

That's great. Thanks Adrian

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Adrian wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:36 pm
Ok, I'll bite. Why is using the field in the software for exactly the required purpose a lousy way to do it compared to lying about the size of the tool to the software?

The allowance only effects the sides and not the bottom. That is controlled by the cut depth.
Also, unless you have the bit with the specified angle it will not have any effect at the machine.
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

TReischl wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm
Just do it. Then hover your mouse over the pocket to see what the depth actually is.
We should do a comparison to see if looking it up in the help file is quicker. :D

WMS

Post by WMS »

Adrian, the pocket allowance worked perfect on the sides and did not impact the depth, Part is a perfect fit, thanks again.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Adrian wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:36 pm

It sort of has to do with how I read "allowance". Allowance is something that is saved for later, as in an allowance for a finish pass. Removing more material does not leave anything so I do not view that as an "allowance". Sure, it can be used that way but I am not so convinced that was the "required" or intended use of that feature. There is one time I can think of when the use of the word "allowance" means to remove more material: "Leave an allowance for plating."

I am not so sure if one is "lying" about the size of the tool if one has programmed the pocket the correct size and it cuts smaller. But I don't think that is what the OP was trying to do, or maybe I am wrong about that. I only do that lying thing when I am in a hurry and know that I will not be revisiting the project again.

One thing I notice a lot is that folks think that if a tool says it is 8mm diameter then it is dead nuts perfect 8mm. They also do not take into account deflections and runouts. When I do stuff that has to be really spot on I will take a test cut with a tool to see what it is really cutting. Mostly that happens when I am making things that actually have to fit in aluminum or brass.
1.jpg
Why that is upside down I do not know, I flipped it over and it still insists in being wrong.

And oh yea, NO BITING ALLOWED. :D
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns