New member saying Hi .............. with many questions to follow!!!

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
T4 Concepts
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee

New member saying Hi .............. with many questions to follow!!!

Post by T4 Concepts »

Hello all,

As per the title my friends, I'm new here so please be gentle :wink:

I'll no doubt have many questions for all you guys, and ladies of course! :) many of which will be stupid questions I'm sure :oops: As this post is a mere introduction I won't go into too much detail here, things will get rather complicated when I begin explaining the main reason behind buying my CNC machine. The 'WorkBee' purchased from 'Ooznest' in the UK, that I modified for a specific purpose.
I'm based in France, so not a million miles away, sometimes it would seem so as it's a tiny village in the middle of nowhere in central France.

And as a picture speaks a thousand words, I'll have to workout how to upload an image ( I'm not new to forums so that should be pretty straight forward ) but I believe the image and probably this post will need to be 'approved' by an administrator ............ I'm not sure about that, hopefully someone can clarify.

Anyway, talk to soon

TURK

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Re: New member saying Hi .............. with many questions to follow!!!

Post by jfederer »

Hi Turk, welcome. You will find that this forum is one of the friendliest, most helpful on the Internet. Ask away! No question is too basic. We all started with knowing nothing about this fascinating technology.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Bienvenu!
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

T4 Concepts

Post by T4 Concepts »

Thanks guys for the warm welcome :mrgreen:

Strange how people differ .............. how they react and what moves them.
Just looking at the thread stats as an example, 70 people viewed my original post ............. and only 2 people responded!
I guess 68 people didn't want to welcome me! :cry:

So an extra big thank you to jfederer & Rcnewcomb, very much appreciated guys, and a bit of French as well !

Merci :wink:

Have I posted my 'Newbie' message in the right section? I posted under 'VCarve' as that's the program I've just bought ( the Desktop version ), but my questions may be related to Aspire as well.

TURK

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'm new here so please be gentle :wink:
Every one of us started at the beginning . My adventure in CNC started about 16 years ago. Others on the forum have much more experience. It was the support of others who were willing to share their solutions, successes, and even failures, that kept me going forward.
Just looking at the thread stats as an example, 70 people viewed my original post ............. and only 2 people responded!
There are a lot of people that just read the forum. That is fine. As each develops experience and confidence they may join in the conversation.
I won't go into too much detail here, things will get rather complicated when I begin explaining the main reason behind buying my CNC machine
It is best to start a new thread and describe a specific problem you are trying to solve. One of the benefits of the forum is the ability to search for a question someone may have asked in the past and to see what the solution was. Therefore it works best to discuss a specific problem in a thread, and to start a new thread to discuss a different problem.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

T4 Concepts

Post by T4 Concepts »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 am

It is best to start a new thread and describe a specific problem you are trying to solve. One of the benefits of the forum is the ability to search for a question someone may have asked in the past and to see what the solution was. Therefore it works best to discuss a specific problem in a thread, and to start a new thread to discuss a different problem.
For sure Rcnewcomb ................ and I will.
I'd be very surprised if the question I have has been asked before, based on what I'm trying to achieve with my cnc machine. It will be apparent once I post my machine ( heavily modified ) and the process I need to use. I may of just joined the forum, but I have been reading members questions for a few weeks now ( being as we're all in lock-down! ).

16 years ...... wow!!! I have a lot to learn :) How long you been using Vectric software?

The first lesson I learned was what program to use! I tried a variety of open source stuff, like InkScape ...... you soon realise it's limitations! Been 'playing' with Vectric VCarve Desktop all night ( actually been up since yesterday, haven't been to bed yet! ). I've just discovered the 'Layers' and how to use them ............... fantastic stuff. Putting dimensions and construction lines on other layers other than my actual design. So far I think that I made a wise choice choosing VCarve Desktop .............. hopefully I can upgrade to Aspire later when I have more money.

TURK

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

One feature that I figure comes in real handy is Increment & Save (CTRL+ALT+S). It increments the current file name by one and saves it, while keeping you in the editor. XYZ.crv becomes XYZ_1.crv. I use it when I feel I'm about to make a major error.... often. 8)

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Welcome to the forum.
One place to start would be to "work" your way through the Vectric Tutorials https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... ve-desktop
Don't just watch them, but actually download the materials associated with each tutorial and work along.
As Randall said, everyone starts at the beginning.... You'll find lots of friendly and helpful people on the forum so enjoy the ride.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Welcome to the forum, as with any forum lots of people will read threads, not so many will reply :lol: :lol:

+1 on what Randall & John have said, just to add to Johns post, don't cherry pick just the tutorials that you think might help with what you are trying to achieve. Start with the basics & build from there :lol: :lol:

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Welcome to the forum Turk.
The only dumb or stupid question is the one that doesn’t get asked.

You’ll find a most genial group here so enjoy the ride....

Ron

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post by jarm2 »

The advice to use the tutorials is excellent. I learned most of my skills with Vectric from tutorial videos. Welcome to the adventure and any question you have, several others probably have as well and just haven't asked. Happy designing and carving from Idaho, USA.
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant

T4 Concepts

Post by T4 Concepts »

gkas wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:57 am
One feature that I figure comes in real handy is Increment & Save (CTRL+ALT+S). It increments the current file name by one and saves it, while keeping you in the editor. XYZ.crv becomes XYZ_1.crv. I use it when I feel I'm about to make a major error.... often. 8)
Good tip that gkas :wink: by adding incremental numbers is usually the way I do things as I progress, but I do it manually.

martin54 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 pm
don't cherry pick just the tutorials that you think might help with what you are trying to achieve. Start with the basics & build from there :lol: :lol:
That's one of the issues I have! as I tend to just concentrate on what I think applies to me and what I'm trying to achieve. I've designed a simple ( simple to me ) 'Calibration' piece for my cnc, to test it's accuracy as I need the dimensions to be very precise. It's just a few circles and a straight line.

I'd been at it an entire day, an entire night and most of the following morning! .............. I was beginning to get rather frustrated, lost my 'rag' in the end! :cry: I did finally manage to generate a GCode file, homed my cnc machine, load the gcode file and instantly it crashed the Z axis!!!!

I'll begin a new thread concerning the problem I currently have, maybe you guys can see where I went wrong.

Anyway guys, many thanks for the welcome, the tips and the support. :wink:
( shame there's no 'thumbs-up' emicon ) as I would certainly use it at this stage.

TURK

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

Welcome Turk. I may be one of the members that reads alot and doesn't comment. That doesn't mean I am not friendly. I think we all come and go alot without commenting, but not out of disinterest. So again Welcome !! WE have all learned from asking many questions, not matter how simple. I have asked what I seemed silly , easy questions, and was never treated bad for asking them. What a great place to share and learn. WELCOME !!!!

Dave

Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Post by Stephen50 »

Many individuals which use this forum started at the same point, with little to no knowledge of the capabilities of the software. As previously mentioned reviewing the tutorials is a great way to learn, plus you have the search function on the forum allowing you to find any question previously asked and answered related to your situation. Relax have fun you can't break the software trust me I've tried and lost. Welcome aboard.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

T4 Concepts wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:51 am
...homed my cnc machine, load the gcode file and instantly it crashed the Z axis!!!!
TURK
Hi Turk,

Make sure you haven't set your Z Home Position amount by too much for your machine. This is a common "newbie" mistake that causes "Z-crashes".. See the attached screenshot for clarity...
Attachments
Z-Home-setting.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC