Looking for Corian

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Looking for Corian

Post by woody53 »

I have searched and searched for 1/4 inch corian, candlestone, or ANY solid surface material for lithopanes and such. All I can find are full sheets costing from $440~$750. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Looking for Corian

Post by highpockets »

http://candlestonegifts.com/
Have you tried ebay?
John
Maker of Chips

CrowsWW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 4896

Post by CrowsWW »

Try a counter top companies ask for sink blanks or cut offs. Sometimes they are free
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
I have a day job to support my wood habit!

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

If you have a Habitat For Humanity Re-Store (or similar) sometimes you can find complete countertops for a good price.

I have read/heard that Dupont (or whomever makes Corian) doesn't allow contractors to sell cut-off's or the sink cut-outs, to keep their product more "premium", or some weird reason. Not sure if there is any truth in this. You can also buy blanks on eBay, Amazon, etc

Allan

ThomasScott
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Nebula

Post by ThomasScott »

I have had good luck with this site. Ordered like 100 4 inch various samples, make great coasters. They have
bigger sizes to up to 10 x 10 I think. Think the candlestone site is done ?? . Found them to be cheaper than
ebay, craigslist etc.. Been awhile since I ordered, you may have to set account up but think its pretty easy to do.
Good luck , corian cuts awesome on cnc . Also the pieces I got were .5 inch, actually like 0.48

https://coriandesignsamples.colors2u.net/

Thanks

Scott

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

I had that problem a few years ago. Well, maybe not a real problem because I could have bought Corian somewhere but I considered it a challenge to do without. As an alternative I carved the lithophane into 1/4" clear acrylic (with reversed model depth) and backfilled the carving with lightly pigmented epoxy. Came out quite nice (see below) and it gave me the idea for the "Solid Wood Lithophane" that I posted a few days ago. As a bonus you can choose the color, contrast and translucency by varying the pigment amount and type.
DSC00597.JPG
DSC00599.JPG
DSC00606.JPG
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

You are a true CNC artist, tailmaker.

Mirion
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Buddy

Post by Mirion »

I am able to purchase corian scraps from a commercial counter top manufacturer near me. They load up a pallet of scraps and charge me $40 or $50. It is a mixture of colors and sizes, none of them real big but just right for signs and things. I have never seen 1/4 inch, it all is around 1/2 inch.