Error Code?? CODE 10

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
DaGoose
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Black Diamond

Error Code?? CODE 10

Post by DaGoose »

HELP!!!
I have looked around the forum and haven't seen this error code. I created a file with CRV extension and saved it on my thumb drive to use the next day on the CNC. During the design, I would save it and then add to it, resave it. I did this about 4 times. When I finished and saved it the final time to the Thumb drive all went well. I have saved several files to this Thumb drive, and never experienced a problem. I have Vcarve pro loaded on my desktop unit (in the house) as well as my laptop (in the shop). Both running Windows 10 and the same Version of V-carve Pro (Ver 10.512 ). When I went to open it on the laptop I received this error message: Failure to open, then it showed the path to the file and then CODE 10. I tried to open it back on the Desktop from the "C" drive and received the Error code message. I have other files on the thumb drive that open fine.
Anyone have any idea what this error code is?
I have used this same transport method for about 2 years and never had an issue or received an error. I understand that there can be problems using a thumb drive and when I have heard of them they have been CODE 3 not Code 10. is there a list of what these codes mean? Have I lost this file forever or can it be revived somehow?
Measure with a micrometer, Mark it with Chalk, Cut it with an ax, Beat it together.

chemstock
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: laguna 4x8 w/ 11" 4th Axis; MX CO2 laser

Re: Error Code?? CODE 10

Post by chemstock »

Error code 10 is usually associated with a Windows device error. Plug your USB into your laptop and open the device manager for your computer and see if the USB device has started. If it is a problem, try another computer. Likely you unplugged the device without ejecting it from your system, that may have corrupted the USB if it was in the middle of a write operation.
There is some software out there that can retrieve damaged files, I have not had a lot of luck with them.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's always best to save the CRV file to the hard drive first and then copy it to the thumb drive rather than directly to the thumb drive. That way if anything goes wrong you have a working copy.

As has been said above if you don't eject the drive first (depending on the Windows version) you can get write errors when pulling it out of the USB slot.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Also, I frequently use the CTRL+ALT+S, Increment and Save. It increments the file name and saves a new copy. I use this before any major changes to my file.

DaGoose
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Black Diamond

Post by DaGoose »

Thanks to all for the help. I ended up copying all the 'GOOD" files over to my hard drive and trashing the thumb drive. I tired everything I knew to salvage it and for some reason 2 or 3 files would not open giving me the same error code. Once I salvaged all I could I formated the thumb drive and it apparently has some bad sectors as it would do the same thing with test files. Scraped and started with a Fresh New Thumb drive, As advised I will from now on save to the hard drive THEN to the thumb drive. Aren't computers wonderful little device that drive ya crazy? If it uses Binary OR has tires, you can bet you will have trouble with it.
Thanks again to all for the help.
Measure with a micrometer, Mark it with Chalk, Cut it with an ax, Beat it together.