3D Mouse

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

3D Mouse

Post by rink »

Good morning.
I have a 3d mouse device (SpaceMouse from 3DConnexion). I use it for CAD drawings of furniture and other larger mechanical drawings in another software. It's very helpful and speeds up my workflow there considerably. When I bought it, I simply connected it to my computer and the other software recognized it right away. So I know the computer "sees" the device.

It would be helpful to be able to use that 3D mouse in the 3D view in VCarve Desktop. However, the device doesn't seem to be recognized. At least when I move the device all around, the drawing doesn't respond as it does with my regular mouse.

What's the possibility of getting VCarve to recognize my 3D mouse, in addition to my regular mouse, as my other CAD program does?

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

gio14
Model of CNC Machine: roland modela 540

Re: 3D Mouse

Post by gio14 »

I remember that when I used it with Pro-e I had to install its driver for Pro-e which was on the CD supplied with 3DConnexion

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

Post by Mark Bolton »

Spacemouse has little to no compatibility with Vcarve. We run them too but they are really a 3D environment tool. Other than scrolling there isnt much use in 2D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's been asked for a few times and as Vectric support say in the first thread (2nd page) it's a very low priority.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=792&p=133788
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7944&p=55893

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Thank you.

Hard to believe that in 2021 writing a driver would seriously delay other “important” development.

Oh well, after a few years, my first disappointment with Vectric.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

rink wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:51 am
Hard to believe that in 2021 writing a driver would seriously delay other “important” development.
If only you, me, and Adrian would benefit from the driver then I can see why it's a low priority.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

And I wouldn't anymore as I stopped using my Spacemouse years ago in favour of multi-button programmable mice.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I use a 2 Button Wheel Mouse and get all the functions I need out of it!!!

Just my Opinion/Thought!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Post by ken.gentry »

Using my SpaceMouse in SketchUp and other software is great. Very intuitive. I use the SpaceMouse to move around and use the mouse to select. Doing all this with a mouse in VCarve is workable but could be much better with a 3D mouse. In VCarve it would be mostly 2D movement with zooming on the 3D mouse.

I'm sure there are others that would benefit from 3D mouse support that are either not active on the forum or just don't bother speaking up. Once the support is present there would likely be other VCarve users that would try a 3D mouse.

Edit: I also used another low-cost CAD/CAM package for several years. This package has had a user-contributed 3D mouse plugin for 5 - 6 years. I used this package in 2.5 D mode and the 3D mouse navigation works very well.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

I don't know if SketchUp still behaves as it did 7 or 8 years ago but I found the SpaceMouse to be most excellent with it. Being able rotate around the model with the SpaceMouse while drawing and pushing/pulling with a normal mouse made modelling quite quick.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I have grown wary of "advance hardware" over the years for the exact reasons listed above. Something gets updated and the update fails to include a driver or whatever.

Not exactly sure what great benefit would result in using a 3d mouse in Vectric products though? I understand if one is using the 3d mouse in other applications that it would be nice if it functioned the same way as in other applications to avoid whip lash. I get that anyway even using a regular mouse in Vectric. One thing that has always bugged me is that there is no mouse pan in Vectric software. So I just do the old "zoom out, move mouse, zoom in" to achieve a pan. I get it, they wanted to have a menu pop up so using a right mouse button to pan would be problematic. But, my primary design software functions that way, so I guess I could tell one of them to do it the other way because it is better, LOL.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Ted,

For panning click and hold both left & right mouse buttons then move the mouse side to side and/or up and down.

Steven

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Even easier - press down on the scroll wheel to pan while moving the mouse. The panning feature(s) via the mouse have always been there.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

I have a space mouse given me by a friend who is no longer in the CAD/CAM world. For the life of me, I've tried to get comfortable using it in "other" software, with little success. So although I think it would be neat to have it work in VCarve/Aspire, I can certainly live without it. Especially with the tricks mentioned above.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The scroll wheel hold down works, but like I said above, not one other piece of software that I own does pan that way. Now I could go off on a rant and spiel away about it ad nauseam but the simple matter is that those who wrote it that way did it for a reason, not a whim.

One thing I have always said is that these companies need to decide on standards for things like that. I remember when they used to hide the various switches all over the place in cars. Some of them even got nutty enough to put things like push button PRNDL plates on the dashboard. Nowadays pretty much all the needed stuff is in a standard location on a car. Edit: I have not seen a car with the PRNDL on the steering column in ages, that appears to have gone into the ether too, LOL.

Frankly I do not care WHAT they come up with, as long as it is the same across various programs and platforms. This is not the wild and crazy days of the early 80's anymore.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns