Problem cutting clipart.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mwright
Model of CNC Machine: MillRight Mega V

Problem cutting clipart.

Post by mwright »

A couple of weeks ago I run my first clipart (eagle head in dish) from the Vcarve Pro program. I thought it turned on really good. So I tried running the Bass set in a dish and have not had any luck getting it to run right. Every way that I have tried setting it up it cuts the same way. Where ever or which ever way I set it up, it starts fine but cuts deeper and deeper like the dish is upside down. It does fine on the rough cut, the finish cut is where the problem is.
This is the Eagle Head I did earlier.
This is the Eagle Head I did earlier.
This is a picture of how it was cutting till I stopped it.
This is a picture of how it was cutting till I stopped it.
This is the modeling set up.
This is the modeling set up.
This is the tool path set up.
This is the tool path set up.
This is the tool set up.
This is the tool set up.
This is how Vcarve shows it should look.
This is how Vcarve shows it should look.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks Mike

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Problem cutting clipart.

Post by sharkcutup »

1.) Have you slowed the preview simulation down and view it to see exactly how (what stages) it carves? Sometimes we do not see the entire picture of the carving unless we slow the preview simulation down. It helps to get an understanding of the carving process that way we do not prematurely stop the carve in progress.

2.) Have you checked the Material Setup to verify the location of the model within the actual material?
Screenshot 2021-01-06 055813.png
Just a couple of checkpoints/thoughts!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Post by Charlie_l »

Perhaps the Z height of your finishing tool is incorrect in the machine?
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II

mwright

Post by mwright »

Thanks for your reply.
If I understand you right I just went in and slowed down the finish cut and watched it cut with the board at an angle. It cut just as I thought. It started in the center and worked it's way out and up out of the wood.
IMG_1785.jpg
This is the location in the material.

Thanks Mike

mwright

Post by mwright »

When I jog using the Universal G-code Sender everything moves in the right direction. Z+ moves up and Z- moves down.

Thanks

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Mike,
I'd recommend using the Windows Snipping tool rather than using your phone for taking screenshots. The images will be clearer easier to read than screenshots taken with a phone.

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mwright

Post by mwright »

Randell,
Thanks I now have it on my toolbar and ready to go.

Mike

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

Is this a fish in a dish model or a fish model being placed in a dish model? Was your eagle in a dish model which you carved?

If you are trying to place a model in a dish, there are additional steps you need to take, including adding zero plane, merging models, and creating a boundary vector.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ElevationCreations wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:40 am
Is this a fish in a dish model or a fish model being placed in a dish model? Was your eagle in a dish model which you carved?

If you are trying to place a model in a dish, there are additional steps you need to take, including adding zero plane, merging models, and creating a boundary vector.
Good point, hadn't thought of that but I think it is the bass in a dish model that is supplied with the software, if it were a fish that the op had placed in a dish model then any problems would show in the toolpath preview & the picture that has been posted looks OK if a little small :lol: :lol:

mwright

Post by mwright »

This is a fish in a dish model that comes with the Vcarve program. Just as the eagle head was the same. That's why I am surprised it did not work. The eagle worked fine, but the fish did not. I have looked at all the settings I can think of on both and they appear to be the same.

Thanks Mike

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The pictures are really low quality so it's hard to be 100% sure but as others have said are you sure it wasn't cutting correctly rather than just the way the cut is done part way through? From what I can see it's cut the fish fine and it's starting the return edge of the dish.

mwright

Post by mwright »

Adrian,
I am sorry for the quality of the pictures, but if you could see the part of the dish that is below the fish it is going down the farther it moves to the outside. Also the outside edge of the cut is really deep.
I have this clipart and a couple others out of Vcarve that I have tried and where ever the cut starts, the farther it moves, the deeper the cut goes. I have tried the clipart without using selected vector in the toolpath and using model boundary in the toolpath. Both vertical cut & horizonal cut and the same thing happens the farther it moves into the cut the deeper it goes.

Thanks Mike

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

Is it possible your bit is slipping in the collet or maybe a problem with your Z axis ?

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I have tried to duplicate your roughing toolpath but never get anything that resembles the rough outer edges as shown in your image.

Could it be that maybe the machine is too aggressive (speed rate too high in plunge rate) in the Z-axis and possibly loosing steps? A loose bit in the collet?

I am at a loss as to why the outer edges of the dish look like they do after your roughing toolpath. Just not able to duplicate it.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

mwright

Post by mwright »

The bit slipping in the collet was my very first thought. Unfortunately it was not that easy. The bit was tight and have not had any problems with that. The picture I showed looks the way it does because I stopped the finish cut before it finished the job. As far as the feed rate and plunge rate, on the roughing pass feed is 70 inches/min and plunge is 40 inches/min & finishing pass is 70 inches/min and plunge is 30 inches/min.
To add to my problem I tried running some lettering I created for a sign today and I have the same problem with the Z-axis dropping as it moves from one letter to another. The picture below I hope is better than I have posted before. I have marked on the tape what the depth of each letter is. The way the letters cut was starting at the bottom right moving left and then up and then moving to the right. Also I have the cutting depth set to .125.
IMG_1786.jpg
Here is the toolpath set-up.
Capture 2.PNG
Here is the tool set-up.
Capture 3.PNG
I am beginning to believe my problem is not in the Vcarve program, but maybe in the Universal G-code sender, or in the machine itself (Millright Mega V).

Thanks to all Mike