I would like your opinion

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: next wave shark 520

I would like your opinion

Post by Custom carving »

I want to get some input on where you buy, and what kind of bits you all use. I have been using feud bits with some success.
I bought some cheap bits on amazon and just wasted my money so I would love your opinion...

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: I would like your opinion

Post by TReischl »

:::shrug:::: I dunno, been buying cheap amazon bits for a quite a while now and have not had any issues. Even use them to cut aluminum. Will be a frosty day in Hades before I shell out big bucks for any bits. Of course, I am not running a production shop. The other day I snapped a small bit off in aluminum, that cost me about a dollar, instead of 5.

BTW, I note that you are running a Next Wave machine, they are not known for rigidity so you may not get much of a payback on $$$ spent.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

When I purchased my Nextwave Piranha in August 2019 I had no idea what I was getting into, at the same time I purchased a Freud 3 piece engraving set that had a 72-300 1/32 TBN, 72-400 1/16 TBN and an 1/8” TBN (forget the number). Yesterday I ordered another set, I have completed 100’s of carves with these bits and to tell you the truth I am not sure I need to replace them yet but I don’t won’t to be without if work dictates I need them, I do mostly 3D carves and photos and the Freud’s have been very good for me.
Scott T

@scottscnc

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I hear ya Scott, I just checked, bought some cheap chinese TBN's a few years ago. Still running the same ones, LOL.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Buy the best quality tools that you can afford—when you need them.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Get the tools that perform best in the feed speed/rpm range that your machine works at. That's far more important IMO. There's no point in buying top dollar tools if you're just wearing them out prematurely because you can't run them at the optimum settings.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

what kind of bits you all use
It depends on what I am cutting. The reason there are so many types and brands of bits is that there is no perfect bit for all situations.

This discussion thread may be helpful: The basics of bits and spindle speeds

It is more important to know what you are cutting.
  • Production work or hobby?
  • What material? Plywood, MFD, Softwoods (pine, redwood, poplar), Hardwoods, hard plastic, soft plastic, HDU foam, EPS foam, non-ferrous metals, steel, stone, aluminum bonded to foam or plastic, etc.
  • What are the typical dimensions of your projects? (height, width, thickness)
  • What toolpath strategies are you using? Profile, pocket, V-Carve, 3D, etc.
  • RPM range and power of spindle or router? (different tooling for a machine with a trim router vs a pair of 40HP spindles)
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

thanks for the add Randall, I will definitely be reading that other thread
I try to learn something every day

chemstock
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: laguna 4x8 w/ 11" 4th Axis; MX CO2 laser

Post by chemstock »

I use the cheap brands for flat bottom milling. Toss them when you hear the bit laboring or when they make dust instead of shavings. Have had poor results with the cheap 2" spoil board cutters, one bit does not last dressing my 4x8' table.
Carving I use Amana tool or CMT orange. I carve hard woods and a new sharp bit produces fewer fuzzies. I also dedicate a tool in the tool database to a given brand named bit so once I have settings that produce good results, I can keep it. I get about 15 to 20 hours on the Amana tapered bits on maple before I see a drop in the finished quality.
I generally do larger carvings, my last project was a total of 70 hours between the rough and the fine toolpaths. I feel the wood and time involved outweigh any cost of bits.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Slow down the rpms on the spoil board surfacing. I'm running 450 ipm at 6000 rpm and the inserts last for 6 months or more of surfacing. I was blowing through inserts before when spinning faster.

DaveManning
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve

Post by DaveManning »

Hi all. First post here. I've had an XCarve 1000 for a couple years now and just got VCarve Pro for Christmas. Spent the last few days watching the "Vectric For Absolute Beginners" series by Mark Lindsay on YouTube. Looking forward to getting into the weeds with VCarve. Now that I've hijacked your thread (apologies), I just wanted to respond by saying I have had phenomenal results with Amana bits. The bits sold by Inventables are garbage. They were great to learn with, and as I broke them I started replacing them with Amana. Now that I've learned about them, I may start buying some of the Whiteside bits, so that I can download the bit specs right into my tool database. Happy New Year.

Dave

Todd D
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO V5

Post by Todd D »

I have been getting bits from, https://onlinesupply.ca/ and getting good results, mostly using for end mills and ball nose,

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Now that I've learned about them, I may start buying some of the Whiteside bits, so that I can download the bit specs right into my tool database. Happy New Year.

Probably just me but I don't understand why people do that, the speed & feed setting provided by the Manufacturers are aimed at production type machinery not Hobby type machines so nwhile your machine may run using those settings they will not be optimal for your set up. I doubt you will buy a fraction of there tool database for your CNC work either

To get the best out of the bits you use you really need to preform your own testing, once you have the bits you use set up in the tool database as long as you stick with the same brands when you change a bit there is no need to do any testing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

DaveManning wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:06 pm
Hi all. First post here. I've had an XCarve 1000 for a couple years now and just got VCarve Pro for Christmas. Spent the last few days watching the "Vectric For Absolute Beginners" series by Mark Lindsay on YouTube. Looking forward to getting into the weeds with VCarve. Now that I've hijacked your thread (apologies), I just wanted to respond by saying I have had phenomenal results with Amana bits. The bits sold by Inventables are garbage. They were great to learn with, and as I broke them I started replacing them with Amana. Now that I've learned about them, I may start buying some of the Whiteside bits, so that I can download the bit specs right into my tool database. Happy New Year.

Dave
Thanks dad Dave for your input there’s no such thing as hijacking a thread in this forum in my humble opinion just a bunch of good guys and girls that love to help fellow operators be as creative as possible thanks again for your input I will try Amaña bits
I try to learn something every day

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

I sprung for the Whiteside CNC Carving Starter Set 705. Two v bits, two tapered ball nose, one quarter inch end mill. It’s been a great deal for me to get into the hobby and figure things out. They have been great quality and lasted a very long time.

I’ve also bought bits from ToolsToday, including a 30 degree v bit that I’ve put untold mileage on and it’s still going strong. I generally use it for carving small text (say Arial font at 1/4 inch tall), with a flat depth about 0.1”.

For reference, I generally work in solid walnut and cherry, with the occasional plywood or MDF piece when I need to make a jig or something, and I have a CNC Piranha (the small one).

DaveManning: I have found the Vectric-produced tutorial videos to be very helpful and comprehensive. I recommend those.

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.