Cutting Inside and Outside the Line

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
HandyAndyInMtAiryNC
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro V5 Series

Cutting Inside and Outside the Line

Post by HandyAndyInMtAiryNC »

Hello Everyone,
I hope that everyone has a very nice Holiday.

I'm working on the same project that I have been for a little while now. It is a great learning lesson for me. Since I am really new to this type of thing.

I have created some fairly simple vectors as seen in the attachment. I am working on the cutout process. I want the toolpath to cutout on the outside of the lines(as shown in the attachment). I am using a single toolpath for the cutout. I am curious as to why some toolpaths are cutting on the inside if the line, and some on the outside of the line. I have tried many things to try to figure this one out. I have snipped out the vectors and replaced with new. I added a new layer and started with a completely new vectors for all of them. I copied one from a known good(the cutout on the outside of the line). I have tried different tools(bits). Nothing seems to change the vectors that are being cut on the inside of the line. The only other thing I can think of is to use a different toolpath for the few vectors that are being cut on the inside if the line.

Before going that route, I wanted to ask if that is the correct thing to do. I would not think it would be. I have to me missing something fairly simple. I know that folks that design more intricate projects would not have to go back to deal with things like this. The software is more intelligent than that.

Can you tell from the attachments what the issues is? Or suggest what I may try?

Thank You in advance for your time and suggestions

Andrew
Attachments
Inside and Outside Cutouts.jpg
ToolPath for Outside Cutout.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Cutting Inside and Outside the Line

Post by highpockets »

Go into Node Editing and change the starting point.
John
Maker of Chips

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Imagine yourself standing on the start point of the line. As you walk down the line, outside will be on the right and inside will be on the left.
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Changing the starting node will only help if the vectors in question are "open".

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Are all vectors joined where they can/need be joined?

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

I was just thinking that it would be nice to see a screenshot containing the full toolpath rather than just a detail view.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

One better would be the OP to post the.crv file here on the forum.

If I am not mistaken that is a cross in the making.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

sharkcutup wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:30 am
If I am not mistaken that is a cross in the making.
That's pretty much what I figured.

Andrew: have a look at the attached. Perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

Steven
celtic-cross-test.jpg
Attachments
celtic-cross-test.crv
(245 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

For closed vectors there is an inside & an outside to the shape so it is pretty easy to determine which is which. With an open vector even if the shape looks to be closed the software sees it as a line with outside being to the right of the line & inside being to the left when standing on the start point (green node) facing down the line or walking along the line as SteveNelson46 has already said :lol: :lol:

HandyAndyInMtAiryNC

Wow,
What a great group of folks to offer suggestions. Thank You everyone.

Yes, this is a cross for the church that we attend. I was asked to create a small version of a large one. Our Church is in a very old building and is being remodeled. I was given all the 150 year old lumber that was removed and replaced with steel. Our Minister asked if our machine could replicate a cross multiple times to be given to the folks who donated funds for this project. I will admit, I thought it would be easier than what it has been for my level of experience.

Like I said, I am very new to this. I am learning more about Nodes and Node editing. But time in front of the screen making mistakes and learning from that is helping. I know there must be some documentation as to what the colors of the blocks are in node editing. I have learned some just by using it. Does anyone know of anything that will show what the different colors mean?

I have attached a copy of the crv for this project and an actual picture of the cross that I am trying to design. I have also attached a picture of the crv in node editing mode. I do understand what you say about the right and left side of the line. But I am not really certain as to how to make these things happen. Like changing the starting point. I see it, but not sure how to change it. I would greatly appreciate if you could look over what I have, and give some detailed instructions on how to correct it.

Thank You to everyone. I greatly appreciate your time, assistance and suggestions.

Andrew
Attachments
Cross with Node Editing Selected.jpg
18 Inches Tall Size No Measurements.jpg
Presbyterian Church Cross.crv
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 66 times

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Here is how I would start that design.

Recognize the shape of the item - That is a very symmetrical part. That means that you really only have to design 1/4 of the cross! When you get that designed, radially replicate it. That means to copy the 1/4 around the center 3 extra times.

Then connect/remove vectors until you have one solid item with all closed vectors.

Recognize that the bottom spoke needs to be lengthened - Grab the bottom / center anchor (open dot) and drag the bottom spoke until it is the correct length.

Now you have designed your cross! Add any Vcarve artifacts to the surface.

That's how I would approach it. Make a large design small, replicate the pieces and you have a precisely symmetrical part.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

You are very new to CNC and V-Carve!

You need to review and work along with the Tutorials that Vectric has provided on their website.

Your File --
1.) A lot of vectors are not joined as should be
2.) A few tiny stray vectors are there too which are not readily seen until you check for open vectors or zoom in on drawing.

and that is just for starters --

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

HandyAndyInMtAiryNC

Thanks Tex,
I have the design of the cross. That was the simple part. I know there are many things that are not ordinary to the things are normally done. That is part of learning. I have a layer that I can cut the groove all the way around. That was not so bad to get that to work. I have the overall design down. I am stuck on getting the cutout around the parameter. I have some lines that are cutting on the outside of the line, which is what I want, and some lines cutting on the inside of the line. Which is what I do not want.

I have gone thru a lot of the tutorials. I have taken that and started a project. Signs with letters are really simple. That I can do easily. Signs with a concave cut. But this is really throwing me. I know what needs to be done, I just do not know how to make the software do those steps.

Shark,
I have read that vectors do not have to be joined, and read other places where they should be.
I am going over the Node Editing tutorials now. Some of them do not delve too deep.

Thanks for your advice.
Andrew

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You've been given some good advice in the earlier replies. You're choosing the outside/right option and it's obvious to a human what the outside of those vectors is. To a program not so much. It relies on knowing where the start of a line (vector) is and then working out what the outside is from that point forwards.

For the vectors that are machining on the wrong side you need to flip the start node to the other end. Go into Node Edit mode (pressing N is the easiest way), click on a vector that is cutting on the "wrong" side. You will see a green node (that is the start node) at one end Move the mouse to the other end of the vector hover over the black node that is there and press P to make that the start node (you can also right click the mouse and choose Start Node from the menu). Repeat for the other vectors.

Press N again to exit node edit mode and recalculate the toolpaths (press the Recalculate All button) and you'll be good to go.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Here's where being stuck on 9.5 gets annoying...

Swapping start nodes for open vectors does allow the toolpath to go to the other side of the line. For me, though I question why the design needs open vectors at all.

If you are going to reproduce the cross in that image with the cross overlaying the ring then why not cut the two separately and combine them? See attached.

If the you just want the impression of the overlay with bevels that could be accomplished without open vectors. One quick solution is attached. (A more involved version would involve a "V-Carve / Engraving toolpath" but it would have sharp inside corners.)

Steven
cross-overlay.jpg
cross-bevels.jpg
Attachments
cross-bevels.crv
(190.5 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
cross-overlay.crv
(309 KiB) Downloaded 54 times