3D in VCarve Desktop

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

3D in VCarve Desktop

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

I had some time and decided to play with making the Nordic Santa. That worked out really great. I used some 0.77 inch x 7 x 3 oak that I had left over.

So, I set the zero plane at .77 shape height and 0.0 base height. Baked it.
I set the 3d Nordic Santa object at .7 inch shape height and 0.05 base height. Baked it. (I wanted extra material in the "back".)
That cut out great, and I had extra material to curve the edges back in finishing.

So, my dear bride suggested that a mirrored copy would look symmetrical. Since all the toolpaths would be duplicates, I did what I normally do and copied the mirrored version to another layer in the same file planning to make layers visible for toolpath grouping and recalculation.

So, I think I'm learning that 3D doesn't work like that. :D It seems that there's not a way to separate the 3D objects on the Modeling tab in a way that they don't "combine" that I can figure out. I can't set the shape and base heights on both layered/mirrored copies to the same values and bake them into those values. The second object always reverts to a default value of "0.75" for shape and 0.0 for base height.

Is this telling me I need to keep two separate files for these mirrored versions of the same object?
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: 3D in VCarve Desktop

Post by sharkcutup »

Why not use two-sided?

The model when I imported it was .6966 in Thickness height so I created the job size with the material thickness 1.5" which was the model twice plus a little extra material. I then made a Copy of everything to the other side. Then I went to material setup to center the models to the material. I then created same toolpaths for each side.

Here is the results -
Screenshot 2020-11-28 155400.png
or if you prefer ---

You can add material to the back and use a moulding toolpath to give the Nordic Santa a curved back using the two-sided method.

Just some thoughts!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

While two-sided is a nice accomplishment, it doesn't really fit the display situation where these objects will end up. Thanks for the idea!

I scaled the model to a height just under 7 inches. The thickness didn't seem to be as thick as 0.6966, so I was trying to also pull it out closer to the 0.77 inch wood thickness. I was thinking that I could highlight the contours a bit by doing that.

Also, I was thinking that moving the zero plane around would allow me to adjust the model, too. However, I can move the zero plane clear out of the wood where I can't even cut the part out! (On a 3D flag/eagle combination image, I have actually used a zero plane to "remove" the flag part of the 3D object, so I could cut only the eagle that was sitting on top.)

I guess I'll have to search out more info on zero plane.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

nordic santa_2.png
nordic santa_2A.png
.77 material Thickness
Model imported at .6899

I scaled the model to 7" then I added a zero plane to its base then I went to the model properties set the shape height to .77 added a few toolpaths and above is what turned out.

Using V-Carve Pro 10.509 --- Simulation Quality Very High (4x Slower) in Oak

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005