Tiling in Vcarve Pro

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Paperboy
Model of CNC Machine: Bobs CNC - KL7-44

Tiling in Vcarve Pro

Post by Paperboy »

I need help, I have tested and tested and tried carving this project and I am very frustrated, please help. My project is longer than my machine, I have a 4'x4' and I use vcarve pro. I have a 2"x12"x96" plank. I need to cut a sign thats 84" total, but the inside between the posts is 70.25" and I've decided to cut the letters with a rectangle box around it at 66" total, 2 inches from each post on the inside. So I set up tiling in vcarve and split the 84 and made it 42. I've got it to work and it cuts the 33 inches from center for the first tile, so I then move the board to the zero point I have marked on the wood, which is center of the the 96", if you look at the pictures attached, it looks good until its done cutting, and not lined up. Can someone please help me understand what I am doing wrong and why won't the lines match up?? thanks, I hope I've explained well enough, and if not, please tell me what you need, thanks.
Attachments
parkwood.png
parkwood1.png
parkwood2.jpg
parkwood3.jpg
parkwood4.jpg

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Tiling in Vcarve Pro

Post by FixitMike »

I would suspect than when the piece is moved, it is not being moved exactly along the long axis. One cause can be if the edge of the board is not straight, another is that whatever you are indexing the board against is not perfectly parallel to the axis.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Paperboy
Model of CNC Machine: Bobs CNC - KL7-44

Post by Paperboy »

Thank you for your input, I suspect that its the wood, after all, its a treated 2x12. I just need this to work once. Thanks for answering also.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

You could try aligning the board against 2 pins, 44 inches apart, both at the same X. (I'm assuming you are moving the board along the Y Axis).
Another thing you could do would be to use 1 pin in the table, sticking up about a half inch, at (or near) X0,Y0, and cut two matching slightly deeper pockets 44 inches apart, on the back side of the stock at the same X to match. You will, of course, need to make sure the stock stays parallel in both positions.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

When I do a tiling job I choose a point for the split that minimizes any interruption, such as in the clear space between letters.
This way the transition is a lot less visible and any differences can be cleaned up easier.
To do this make your material a couple inches longer than the 84 and move the sign in the material so that the gap between the K and the W is at the centre.

Euan