Cuts are too deep

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
datoshway
Model of CNC Machine: Phantom CNC

Cuts are too deep

Post by datoshway »

I need some help. My cuts are cutting too deep. I have a 6mm material and need to cut 3mm deep .

My cuts were going all the way through. As a test i’ve rolled the cut back to .25mm but still going way too deep. See attached, please help!
Screenshot (1).png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Cuts are too deep

Post by Adrian »

Really need to see the file itself rather than screenshots but the only thing I can think of is that the material isn't set to the thickness you think it is or you have another toolpath that is cutting all the way through.

datoshway

Post by datoshway »

Thank you for the quick response. See attached file.
Attachments
Pocket Inlay 12.txt
(142.16 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It's the actual VCarve (CRV) file that is needed rather than the g-code as your issue is showing in the preview before the g-code stage.

However I can see from the g-code header that the material looks to be set to 0.020" thick which is only half a millimetre not 6mm.

datoshway

Post by datoshway »

Sorry about that. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. See attached.
test.crv
(803 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You have the material thickness set to 0.5mm in the job setup rather than the 6mm you mention in the first post.

I'm guessing when you changed the cut depth to 0.25mm you didn't recalculate the toolpath as it's cutting that depth for me.

datoshway

Post by datoshway »

I kept rolling back the material thickness to try and offset what was happening. Should I go back to 6mm?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I thought you meant you had kept the material thickness the same but had changed the cut depth? Either way the pocket cut is half the depth of the relevant material setting so definitely doesn't cut through.

You may also be confusing yourself with the preview. You have two toolpaths, one is a v-carve which will cut to the full depth needed for the design which in your case is over 20mm and the other is the pocket which you've set to 0.25mm. The pocket toolpath won't cut all the way through as it's half the current material depth of 0.5mm but the v-carve one will. Depending on which buttons you're pressing and which toolpaths you have selected you're probably seeing both toolpaths run at the same time so you're thinking the pocket one is cutting all the way through when it's not.

If you hover the mouse over each toolpath in the list you will get a tooltip displayed which shows the max cut depth.

datoshway

Post by datoshway »

I accidentally added that vcarve one in there right before I sent it to you. I have not cut with it yet. So for some reason the single tool path is cutting all the way through, do you think added more height to the material depth is the ticket here? I only reduced it to .05 because it was initially cutting through.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It's not cutting through though, that's the point. The material depth is 0.5mm and the pocket cut is 0.25mm. Preview just that toolpath on it's own and it doesn't cut through all the way.

If you change back to 6mm thickness and 3mm cut depth you will get the same result.

Are you sure you didn't preview the v-carve toolpath? I can see from the toolpaths (blue lines) in your original preview that it was selected.
Attachments
cut.jpg

datoshway

Post by datoshway »

It's definitely cutting through the material on the CNC. Anything else that might be causing this?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Ok, now I'm getting confused. You showed it cutting through on the preview but now you're saying it's only doing it on the CNC or is it both?

If it's doing it on the CNC only then there could be other causes such as incorrect post processor, incorrect z-zero settings etc etc. You have the z-zero set to be the top of the material in vcarve. Are you setting it at the same place on the CNC?

I've previewed the g-code you attached in my software and it's cutting correctly.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

You don't need the pocket toolpath. Set the material thickness to 6mm and the flat depth on the v-carve to 3mm. Add a clearance tool to the v-carve toolpath. I used a .125" endmill. If you don't set a flat depth the v-bit will cut through the material.
Attachments
GB V-carve toolpath.png
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:37 pm
You don't need the pocket toolpath. Set the material thickness to 6mm and the flat depth on the v-carve to 3mm. Add a clearance tool to the v-carve toolpath. I used a .125" endmill. If you don't set a flat depth the v-bit will cut through the material.
I did think that but the op said this
"I accidentally added that vcarve one in there right before I sent it to you. I have not cut with it yet. So for some reason the single tool path is cutting all the way through"
which would seem to indicate he only wants a single pocket toolpath.

I'm was sure the issue is that he's previewing the v-carve toolpath at the same time but didn't realise but then he said it was added afterwards (despite it showing in the original preview picture) and then saying that the CNC cuts that way yet the attached g-code only contains the pocket toolpath. I don't think I've been so confused over a simple issue for quite a while.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Adrian wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 am
... I don't think I've been so confused over a simple issue for quite a while.
Don't hang up your spurs and pull out your rockin' chair just yet, Adrian! :D
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.