How can I cut circles without creating projectiles?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CanisLupus
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II (SR-44)

How can I cut circles without creating projectiles?

Post by CanisLupus »

I'm working on a design based on a 12-inch circle with a series of 1-inch holes spaced every 2 inches around the perimeter. Using a 1/4-inch bit, how do I toolpath the 1-inch holes so the bit starts near the center of the hole and works its way outwards to avoid leaving a piece of scrap inside the hole.

My concern about starting on the outside perimeter is being left with a 1/2-inch diameter scrap piece in the center and having that scrap thrown when the bit finally cuts through the bottom of the material and frees the scrap. I don't think tabs are really an option in this case so I plan to machine the hole centers away.

It looks like I can use a 2D Profile toolpath with the spiral ramp option but I still need to obliterate the scrap in the core of the hole. Is there any way I can use this approach and start in the center of the circle and spiral outward?

Thoughts?

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: How can I cut circles without creating projectiles?

Post by dealguy11 »

My first take would be to use the profile with ramping strategy with a 1/2" bit instead of a 1/4" bit.

If you really must use the 1/4" bit, then do the hole in 2 toolpaths. Make a smaller hole 1/2" in diameter, centered in the larger hole, using a profile/ramp approach, then cut the larger hole.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

CanisLupus
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II (SR-44)

Post by CanisLupus »

Thanks, Steve. I thought about using a 1/2-inch bit and my only reason for not using one is everything else can be done with a 1/4-inch. Sounds lazy but I was avoiding a bit change. Thanks for the suggestion!

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

I have had good luck with a last pass allowance and the final pass depth of .050" or less. I would try a last pass allowance of .025" or a little more. Ramp in. The allowance will keep the bit away from the center loose piece and the light final depth imparts minimal load on it.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Use the Pocket toolpath rather than a Profile toolpath if you want the bit to remove all of the material from the hole, Check the Offset path box. Ramping the plunge moves is always a good idea.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

Could you use the Spiral gadget to create a profile path that removes all the material in one pass and
apply a ramped plunge also?
https://gadgets.vectric.com/spiral.html