Advice on next machine

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
NDP
Model of CNC Machine: CNCShark HD4Ext

Advice on next machine

Post by NDP »

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm currently running VCarve Pro on a CNC Shark HD4 router in a prototype/low-volume production environment, and am looking into another machine with a larger 4x8 workspace. I don't have any experience with other software, but am willing to learn.

What would be a logical next-step? Thank you for your opinion!

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Re: Advice on next machine

Post by Daniel S »

Hi NDP,
I will give you my 2 cents worth. I still have my Shark HD4 but I was looking for a more ridged machine. I purchased the CAMaster Stinger and so far I am very happy with it. I wish I had added the Laser which so far is not available as a upgrade from the company.
I did add the extension for future addition of the rotary. The Stinger has very smooth cuts, and are very accurate with no lines when profile cuts at each tab like I would get with my Shark so almost no sanding needed when cutting out projects. I really like the FTC for changing bits for accurate Z settings. Many good machines out there to look at.
Dan

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'm a fan of both CAMaster and ShopBot. Both have excellent support and active user forums.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:35 pm
I'm a fan of both CAMaster and ShopBot. Both have excellent support and active user forums.
Plus 1 on that Randall. There isn't a perfect machine for everyone but I sure love my Camaster. If I had it to do over again I would give Gary Campbell's GCNC Ultimate Machine a very close look. Here is a link to his YouTube page.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/featured

EDIT: Randall,
I see you have a GCNC. How do you like it?
Steve

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

NDP wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:33 pm
What would be a logical next-step? Thank you for your opinion!
Determine your budget, your work envelope requirements, options you absolutely require, the space and power you have available for the machine, and any restrictions placing the machine in the work location. Make a list so you can compare comparable machines.

The machine interface may be different than what you are presently using. If you are using VCP presently you should be able to use it on the new machine since it outputs G-Code, it will just require the post processor for the machine.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I was forced into a Shopbot as there was no way I could get any other 8x4 machine at the time through the access I had to the workshop. I've never regretted the decision though.

The number one thing to look for IMO, unless you are totally confident in your ability to diagnose issues and source replacement parts, is the level of support.

I've had two issues with my ShopBot in the 11 years I've owned it and both were sorted in a couple of hours despite it being the early hours in the US when I first raised the issue.

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Post by ken.gentry »

Anybody built an Avid CNC machine? I've been looking at the 5x5 Pro kit.

Fire_Instructor
Model of CNC Machine: Avid CNC Pro4848

Post by Fire_Instructor »

ken.gentry wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:01 pm
Anybody built an Avid CNC machine? I've been looking at the 5x5 Pro kit.
I am just finishing-up building an Avid PRO 4848. I'm brand new to the CNC world, as this is my first machine. Tomorrow morning I'll surface my spoilboard, and then make my first "production" cut. It's a dustboot file downloadable from the Avid website.

I found the build to be relatively easy, with very few problems. Of the literally THOUSANDS of parts, they sent me only three wrong bolts, and when I called and questioned why it wasn't going together as it should, they overnighted the three bolts to me. They have been incredibly responsive the three or four times that I called with a question or clarification. I give them "five stars", thus far.

Any specific questions about the build?

Rick (Fire Instructor)
Backstep Woodworking
Rick
Avid PRO 4848, using Aspire ver.11.0
Backstep Woodworking, DeFreestville, NY

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I see you have a GCNC. How do you like it?
I absolutely love the GCNC. Gary Campbell customized a rock solid machine.
  • It has a 24x36" work area which is fine for the projects I do and my very limited shop space, i.e. a corner in my garage.
  • The rotary is easy to set up and has the XY, and Z preprogrammed.
  • Having 10" of Z travel is great
  • The 5 position tool changer allows me with use multiple tools with no worries about forgetting to re-zero the Z axis on tool changes.
  • I've only stalled out the 2.2KW spindle once and that was when I was doing something foolish (1/2" end mill with 4" cutting depth in 16/4 redwood at 180IPM)
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

I will get bashed for this but both of my CNC are Nextwave and I have got excellent results and tech support has been awesome when needed. Hobby and supplement work not production.
Scott T

@scottscnc