inlaid golf ball

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
pjschwa
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 5.0

inlaid golf ball

Post by pjschwa »

Need to cut a sphere into a plaque to hold 1/2 of a golf ball. The ball will rest in it. I know I should be able to figure this out but having trouble. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm using VCarve Pro. Thanks!

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Re: inlaid golf ball

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

There was a recent thread about this "bowl" shape, but the jist of it was to use the moulding toolpath.

The "secret" that I learned was to place a 0.005" circle at the center of your bowl for the drive rail, and then choose a 1/4 circle for the profile.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Could you use any of the supplied dome/dish models & just alter it's size to suit your needs?

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Check out Design & Make

https://store.designandmake.com/search/ ... q=golfball

This may be what you are looking for

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

pjschwa

Post by pjschwa »

Thanks all! I’ll give it a try

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

pjschwa wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:12 am
Need to cut a sphere into a plaque to hold 1/2 of a golf ball. The ball will rest in it.
I read this as he needed 1/2 of a sphere as opposed to a textured golf ball in 3D.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Yeah Tex you are probably right!

1/2 of a golf ball will rest in this the other 1/2 sits above the wood surface
Golf Ball Rest.png
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

Since you can not see what is below the golf ball, why not cut a cylindrical pocket? Should not make a difference visually.
Maybe a tad undersized and you can squeeze the ball in without glue.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

pjschwa

Post by pjschwa »

Tex, you are are correct. All I need is a 1/2 sphere. But I cant seem to adjust the depth of the supplied dome to seat the golf ball. Can anyone tell me the steps to modify the supplied 3D dish into a 1/2 sphere?

If not I'll give the molding toolpath a try...

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Import the dome shape, set its size to what ever diameter you want, click on the modeling tab & then the wrench icon, set the combine mode to subtract & the shape height to what ever value you want.
Don't forget to add a zero plane if you cutting below the surface of the material.
Are you sure your not over thinking this? Does it need to be exactly half a sphere or just an indent you can glue a golf ball into? You could probably also use a small screw to secure it from the back but make sure its not one of those golf balls full of some sort of goo :lol: :lol:
I cut one open as a kid & sprayed some brown stuff up my parents living room wall, they were not impressed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by Wayne Locke »

If I understand correctly you want to mount a golf ball so that half of it is proud. If the plaque hangs on a wall, why can’t you simply cut a pocket of the correct diameter and depth and secure it in a dab of construction adhesive. It will look the same as a dish when mounted.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Wayne Locke wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:20 pm
If I understand correctly you want to mount a golf ball so that half of it is proud. If the plaque hangs on a wall, why can’t you simply cut a pocket of the correct diameter and depth and secure it in a dab of construction adhesive. It will look the same as a dish when mounted.
Tailmaker suggested that a few posts ago & to be honest if it were me that is plobably what I would do, I would think time wise it would be a lot quicker to cut a pocket rather than a 3D model even if you use quite a large step over for the model :lol: :lol: :lol:

pjschwa

Post by pjschwa »

Tailmaker, Martin54 & Wayne all provided the practical solution. And I appreciate it!

I'd like to learn how to do this by cutting a 3D dish model so I'm gonna try. It's just an embedded 1/2 sphere! Of all the challenges I've had over the past 5 years this task doesn't seem like it should be so big a lift. Going to try.

But if I can't do it, will take y'all's guidance and just cut a pocket.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

pjschwa wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:02 am
Tailmaker, Martin54 & Wayne all provided the practical solution. And I appreciate it!

I'd like to learn how to do this by cutting a 3D dish model so I'm gonna try. It's just an embedded 1/2 sphere! Of all the challenges I've had over the past 5 years this task doesn't seem like it should be so big a lift. Going to try.

But if I can't do it, will take y'all's guidance and just cut a pocket.
OK I've just had a look at this & I'm not sure where you are going wrong, I imported a dome/dish model, resized it to 42.67mm which is apparently the diameter of a golf ball. Set the combine mode to subtract & checked it's properties. The model height is 21.183mm without me making any alteration so pretty close to half a golf ball as it is :lol: :lol: :lol:
dome 90.JPG
Use this model which is something like dish/dome90
wrench2.JPG
set the combine mode to subtract, you can also set the shape height to exactly half the diameter, or even the radius if you like :lol: :lol:
zero plane.JPG
Don't forget to add a zero plane if your model is set to subtract, helps to define the material surface & give a nice edge to your model :lol:

pjschwa

Post by pjschwa »

Thanks Martin. I downloaded a trail version of Aspire and it worked. In VCarve Pro it did not. It looks pretty good in the rendering so I may just leave it at that and see how cuts in the AM.

Though when I selected the 'zero plane' button as you suggested everything went haywire. Any tips on that?
Attachments
Capture.PNG