Masking issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Phil
Vectric Wizard

Masking issue

Post by Phil »

I have a request to carve trail signs with the following specs. Trex type material for long life, wood grain appearance, lettering painted.
I cut a sample on wood grain Trex with a paint mask. I wasn't surprised but I was disappointed that the mask did not hold up well when cutting the lettering.
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to manage this project.

Thanks,

Phil

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Masking issue

Post by FixitMike »

One possibility is to use a water based paint to fill the lettering without a mask. It will be easier to just clean off the areas where you don't want the paint before it dries.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL; V-Carve DT 10.509

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

FixitMike wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:23 pm
clean off the areas where you don't want the paint before it dries.
Good advice for the OP, Mike, but when I've tried to do this the paint within the grooves gets dragged back onto the surface and texture also. Is there a trick to get the same effect as masking? There's a fine line between paint too wet and too dry.
Crooked Wood Products - Custom Wood
Truth lies dormant in our future history ― Tex LXVIII

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm
Good advice for the OP, Mike, but when I've tried to do this the paint within the grooves gets dragged back onto the surface and texture also. Is there a trick to get the same effect as masking? There's a fine line between paint too wet and too dry.
I've used a soft cloth that is just barely damp with the most success. However the problem can happen with any wood with open cells such as oak unless you use a wood filler before carving to make the surface smooth. Also, a coat of sealer after carving and before filling will make it easier to wipe off excess fill paint, as well as prevent bleeding. OP said he was using Trex which has an impervious surface.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger using WinCNC

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I use Oramask with fairly good results as long as the bit is really sharp or new. Before carving, coat the surface with a sanding sealer, shellac or something equivalent, then apply the mask. After carving, spray the lettering with a couple of coats again before applying paint.
Steve