Rotary modeling and toolpathing advice

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
duster
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre Pro 408

Rotary modeling and toolpathing advice

Post by duster »

I'm trying to figure out how to model and toolpath this twisted column. I've done several basic things with my 4th axis successfully, but I'm at a loss on where to start with this project. Any advice would be appreciated!
Attachments
twisted table base.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Rotary modeling and toolpathing advice

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I need to think about how to do this in VCarve. In Aspire this would be done using the 2-rail sweep.

An alternate approach is to hand code the G-code and cut it from the side. You need a fairly robust setup for this. Using a large, long bit, the bit starts at one end of the column and Z is at or below the centerline. It travels in a straight line to the opposite end as the column turns 90 degrees. Repeat until all sides are done.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

duster

Post by duster »

I believe my equipment is up to the task. I have a 10hp spindle with 12" of Z clearance, and a stout rotary axis set up.
For tooling, I have a 1/2" x 4" downcut chipbreaker bit for roughing out, and a 3/8" x 3.5" ball nose for finishing.

This is at least twice as big in diameter as anything I've attempted. I'm thinking a 10" square blank by 26" long, with the
corners cut off @ 45 degrees to create a roughly 11" diameter octagon. I would do a test blank in blue foam before I'd
try it in wood.

I'm not sure how to model this, and hand coding the g-code is probably beyond my limited skill set.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I don't think you can model it in V-Carve. Modeling is in Aspire only.
Steve

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Not quite sure why you want to turn it into an octagon? Me thinks you would be better off starting with a cylinder.

If someone does not come up with a magic way of modeling this in VCarve maybe one of us could create an stl for you. You would need to give us the exact dimensions, not just estimates.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

duster

Post by duster »

I was thinking of starting with an octagon because it would allow me to get a larger blank under the Z axis.
A 10 x 10 square blank would be almost 14" diagonally, whereas an octagon would only be about 11". At
that point I could turn it into a cylinder.

I'll work up better dimensions and post those. Thanks!

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

If you play your card correctly , using VCarve, you can do what you want with the Moulding ToolPath.
You can adjust the shape and depth of the twist as needed.
Here's just a quick example.
Michael
Attachments
twist.jpg
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

You can do this with the moulding toolpath if you start with a blank longer than you need.
I started with a 10 inch circle as a section view of a starting cylinder blank. I drew a square in it to represent the shape I wanted to cut from it. Did a little drafting to figure out the angle of a guide line to send the moulding profile down, and used the Unwrap selected Object tool to make the moulding profile needed. Result is a 24 inch tall twisted post, but the moulding toolpath being angled will extend 37.33" some above and some below the finished post area. You could shorten the needed blank if you broke this down to 4 moulding toolpaths, one for each face of the square.
turned square post 4D.jpg
Attachments
Turned Square Post 4D.crv3d
(971 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Turned Square Post 4D.crv
(459 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

duster

Post by duster »

4D - you nailed the shape of my column, 4 flat sides with a 90 degree twist. Unfortunately, I can't open your attachments. (I'm using V Carve 9.5) I'm still not sure how to draw this. Any more thoughts on this?

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

As I still have 9.5 on my PC here is a .CRV file you should be able to open. Left in all the steps/vectors I used to get to the final toolpath for your edification.
Turned post 10 inch cylinder.jpg
Enjoy!
Attachments
Turned post 9.5 4D.crv
(564 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

duster

Post by duster »

4D - Thanks for the time and effort helping me with this project. I was able to open the new crv file and see how you did it. I edited the toolpath to make use of the tooling I have available, and glued up a foam blank to to test this. A few adjustments to my rotary axis and I'll be ready to give it a whirl.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Glad to help Duster. I actually enjoy the occasional challenges user present on this forum. Keeps my mind awake and humming. Post a photo or two of your outcome as I'm sure many here would live to see it.
4D