Importing files to Vcarve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Sliverfoot
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 4896

Importing files to Vcarve

Post by Sliverfoot »

I'm trying to import some dxf files into Vcarve pro. They were exported from other software in dfx format, when I try to import them I get a error message that says
Failed to load component from file
(location on computer)
Check file contains model,
Looking at the file in my directory it has content - 8,164 kb.
What am I doing wrong? I can export it in stl format from Fusion and then import it and it works fine but the dimensions are WAY off. I thought by using dxf the correct dimensions would follow.
Only those who risk going too far
Can possibly find out how far one can go.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Importing files to Vcarve

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

The DXF is probably vectors only (no model). So you need to go back to using STL format from Fusion. This assumes you are actually trying to import a model - not vectors.

The Fusion software is “famous” for causing size issues when exporting and then importing into Vectric software. This is not really a problem that can’t be overcome. You can just resize the item either during import or after the import.

Here is a link to a recent post describing (and solving) the issue similar to yours (as far as the Fusion size issue):

viewtopic.php?p=259713#p259713

BTW, Fusion is very limited as to the quality of a 3D model it is able to export. As I recall, it has a built-in limit to the number of facets and file-size it can support, which can often result in a low-quality model, depending on the situation.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Sliverfoot
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 4896

Re: Importing files to Vcarve

Post by Sliverfoot »

Thank you Michael
I have gone back to other software and exported in stl making sure that the correct unit measure (mm vs inches) was selected both exporting and when importing in Vectric. That seems to be working although I've never dealt with stls so a little bit of learning to be done here.
The reason I started in other software was that the I've been asked if I could make some molds for someone. The files he sent me were in STEP format so I needed to both edit them (the STEP files included labels and some packaging) and convert them. I've been stumbling my way into other software to try to accomplish this.
I believe I have something to work with now.
Only those who risk going too far
Can possibly find out how far one can go.