Lack of user manual

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
msaine
Model of CNC Machine: cncrouter parts pro4896

Lack of user manual

Post by msaine »

Is it only me or is there a glaring lack of a user manual for Vcarve Pro? I find it strange that I have paid $1300 dollars for a program that has no manual! I understand there are a lot of tutorials but setting through a few dozen tutorials to find out what a given setting in the program affects is very disheartening. I don't expect a paper manual; but there is not really anywhere to look up individual setting to get an idea of what it affects! If nothing else a type of glossary that list the various settings and what they control would be useful. Please help!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Lack of user manual

Post by adze_cnc »

Menu item “Help” contains what you want.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

In VCarve go to Help/Help Contents and it will open your browser to the help contents.
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.02.15 PM.png
In Help you can click on SINGLE PAGE and it will put all help content in a single web page. This is handy for searching. You can also print it, but be aware that it is over 400 pages.
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.05.17 PM.png
Clicking On USER GUIDE shows the major areas of content with links so you can jump directly to that section.

On the left hand menu are the major topics of Drawing, Toolpaths, Modules, Interface, Menus, Pre-installed Gadgets, Layers, and ClipArt.
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.09.45 PM.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

msaine

Post by msaine »

Thank you. I had looked in help but these old eyes didn't see it.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

"manuals" have pretty much gone the way of the Dodo bird. I am not thrilled by this myself but I sort of understand it. Things change really fast in the software world, about the time a manual was ready to go it would be about the right time to toss it in the trash and start over.

I like tutorials a lot. Find it best to run them on a dual screen setup.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

msaine

Post by msaine »

That is a myth that corporate uses to disguise the fact that they have piss poor software control procedures. A modern company that uses current state of the art software development procedures basically have their manual 95% written while the software is being developed. When they choose not to publish a manual it is because they are pinching pennies or that they are using outdated software development practices which usually shows up in buggy software. In the world corporate market, way to many corners are cut and it shows in the quality of products created. I will now get off my soapbox :) What I really was complaining about originally was that I couldn't find the help that I thought should be there, it was pointed out to me and all is as well as can be :)

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

RTFM....

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Vectric has a very extensive manual and contact sensitive manual.
Try the question mark
Image 933.png
Image 933.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
on both the Drawing and Toolpath commands page. It will take you to the section of the manual specific to the Drawing/Toolpath that is currently selected.
John
Maker of Chips

Steve Misher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4

Post by Steve Misher »

Just wondering how you paid $1500 for V Carve Pro?
Vectric has so many help videos, and the help section while using the software probably answers 90% of any question you could possibly ask.
Just my 2 cents, but you sound pissed! This forum has so many members that can answer any possible question you can think of and they do all that freely and have always been very helpfull.

msaine

Post by msaine »

Steve, consider this:

I have a question sure I can go to the forum and post a question. That is all well and good but... How long would a task take if I had to post a request and then wait for someone on the forum to answer it. Yes I would get an answer but what about any reasonable thru-put on work?

What I think is needed is another "Getting started" tutorial that explains the means of finding answers! Yea a question mark may seem obvious to experienced users, but not everyone is an experienced user. I originally missed the help section because the wording is just a bit different, but that is my bad. Even a short list of "how to get help" commands would be useful. Terminology used may be industry standard but everyone has a point at which they are new to the industry so terminology can be very important! In addition not all menus have a question mark to access help.

In addition posters here tend to read what they want on a post, not what is written. I never said I paid $1500, I said $1300 which is the current listed price for Vcarve-Pro. I actually don't remember what I paid as it came bundled with my machine.

I appreciate the HELP given above, but resent the implied criticism in your post. You experienced user need to take that into account before posting a remark.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Maybe you should get into the corporate software world to show those greedy sons a guns how it should be done? There is an opportunity for you here! Since they are not doing it right you could write that "manual" and sell it to new users!

No one ever cuts corners in the corporate world to keep their prices down, nah, it is all about greed.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

JoelWeisbrod
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD120

Post by JoelWeisbrod »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:10 pm

In Help you can click on SINGLE PAGE and it will put all help content in a single web page. This is handy for searching. You can also print it, but be aware that it is over 400 pages.
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 3.05.17 PM.png

Clicking On USER GUIDE shows the major areas of content with links so you can jump directly to that section.
On the left hand menu are the major topics of Drawing, Toolpaths, Modules, Interface, Menus, Pre-installed Gadgets, Layers, and ClipArt.
Okay, here are my comments about the help online...

I am okay with the online manual since I am at my computer using the software anyway so it is no problem. However, I do have some problems with the implementation of this online material:
1. in Single Page display, I cannot find a search button, icon, or any way to search. Clearly, there should be a search button on the top that should jump to whatever you key in of display a group of choices for common keywords. All online help (other than this) has these common features for users to find what they need easily.
2. In User Guide mode, if I scroll way down to see something in the toolpath section, the contents panel immediately jumps back to the very top. I need additional clarifications in the toolpath section so I need to scroll way down again to find what I want. Clearly, this should stay where I left it when I looked at a topic.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Joel,

After going into “Single Page” mode, press the Control+F key combo to reveal the Search box.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

msaine wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:01 pm
I never said I paid $1500, I said $1300 which is the current listed price for Vcarve-Pro
Simply for clarification and to prevent confusion.
The current listed price for V Carve Pro is not $1300.00. It is in fact $699.
See screen print taken a few minutes ago from the Vectric website.
Attachments
VCarve Pro Price.jpg

msaine

Post by msaine »

Jozua,

I apologize for my error in pricing. I couldn't remember and did a quick walk thru the purchase page and I think I might have selected the aspire upgrade by mistake. Not sure, but I am sorry for any confusion.