Moulding On Profile Edge

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
OLE
Model of CNC Machine: Longmill

Moulding On Profile Edge

Post by OLE »

I have a circle that I would like to use one of the Mouldings in the clipart. When I follow the directions in help it puts the moulding on the waste side and not on my circle piece.
I read in help that you cant reverse rail the moulding lines inwards on a closed vector. If I draw a line I can reverse the red line up or down but not on a closed vector? Not sure what I am missing. Why cant you put the moulding on the edge of your piece so you have a nice edge?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Moulding On Profile Edge

Post by highpockets »

Try reversing the Profile instead of the Rail....
Attachments
Image 927.png
Image 928.png
Image 929.png
John
Maker of Chips

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

John's advice is right on in making sure the sweep vector is oriented correctly. Also, to make the moulding toolpath end at the outside perimeter of your piece, you need to create a new rail vector by offsetting the perimeter vector inward by the width of the sweep. The moulding profile will go on the outside of this new vector. Use the perimeter vector to cut the part out, but not for the moulding.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

dealguy11 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm
... you need to create a new rail vector by offsetting the perimeter vector inward by the width of the sweep. The moulding profile will go on the outside of this new vector. Use the perimeter vector to cut the part out, but not for the moulding.
That explains a lot about my last moulding project. Thanks for that bit! Can you expound on the reasons for that, because I did a ring that had a linear ramped top surface, but that issue didn't show up (I'm guessing) because I was over-cutting the surface anyway.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Since you can only cut a moulding toolpath on the outside of a closed vector, that vector has to define the inside of the profile is the simplest way to look at it.

You can usually cut on either side of an open vector by changing the direction of the vector. You might say "Aha! I can cut the closed vector to make it open and change the direction to force it to cut on the inside!" In my experience, if the endpoints overlap then VCarvePro/Aspire is smart enough to figure out that it probably should be closed and will not move the cut to the inside. You have to leave a little gap, which will be visible on the material, unless you make a second toolpath just covering that small gap.

Also, if you cut on the inside of the vector and have sharp corners you will run into another problem which is that VCP/Aspire will not allow a moulding toolpath where the profile overlaps itself.

Easier to just offset the outside vector and use that as the inside of the profile.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost