Deep wood cutting with long end mill?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jaru-eri
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Taig and router, Gecko G540, Mach3

Deep wood cutting with long end mill?

Post by jaru-eri »

Is it possible to make 25mm deep profile cutting with a long 5mm end mill? How many flutes is the best option for wood cutting?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Deep wood cutting with long end mill?

Post by martin54 »

Most of what I profile cut is between 20 to 30mm & I use bits from 3mm to 6mm for this. How many flutes will depend on your machine but generally single or 2 flute cutters will be your best option. If you have a router or high speed spindle then you are unlikely to be able to get the speed & feed settings right for more than 2 flutes. :lol:

Just to add I use both spiral & straight flute bits for this, most of the time I use a spiral ramp to profile cut parts out.

If you want to cut 25mm deep in a single pass then you would need to use the last pass option on the toolpath form, you would need to make sure the CEL for the bit is long enough to cut 25mm :lol: :lol:

Sorry about the number of edits, not quite with it this morning :oops: :oops:

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I use 6mm and 3mm extra long (approx. 6”) all the time. However, not to break them, set the Pass Depth 35% of the diameter, the Stepover at 35% for End mill or no more than 10% for Ball mills. Feed rate no more than 100 mm/sec or Less. In fact on all of the extra long mill I have, I use the same parameters. DO NOT TRY TO HOG THEM.
Gary

jaru-eri
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Taig and router, Gecko G540, Mach3

Post by jaru-eri »

garylmast wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:06 pm
I use 6mm and 3mm extra long (approx. 6”) all the time. However, not to break them, set the Pass Depth 35% of the diameter, the Stepover at 35% for End mill or no more than 10% for Ball mills. Feed rate no more than 100 mm/sec or Less. In fact on all of the extra long mill I have, I use the same parameters. DO NOT TRY TO HOG THEM.
Gary
martin54 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:21 am
Most of what I profile cut is between 20 to 30mm & I use bits from 3mm to 6mm for this. How many flutes will depend on your machine but generally single or 2 flute cutters will be your best option. If you have a router or high speed spindle then you are unlikely to be able to get the speed & feed settings right for more than 2 flutes. :lol:

Just to add I use both spiral & straight flute bits for this, most of the time I use a spiral ramp to profile cut parts out.

If you want to cut 25mm deep in a single pass then you would need to use the last pass option on the toolpath form, you would need to make sure the CEL for the bit is long enough to cut 25mm :lol: :lol:

Sorry about the number of edits, not quite with it this morning :oops: :oops:
I already have some single flute 4mm bits but the CEL is only 14mm. If I can use that bit, which spindle speed will then be the best?

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

jaru-eri wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:26 pm
If I can use that bit, which spindle speed will then be the best?
A good starting point would be to look at a chipload calculator.
Here is an example that may be helpful.
https://gdptooling.com/chipload-calc/
Joz

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

One other thing I should mention is I always set the Boundary Offset to the same diameter of the mill, to avoid binding. The time is a little longer but saves on breakage. Also, if I rough cut with a larger mill than my finish, i.e: 6mm rough and 3mm finish, I will also include a 6mm finish. Anything to save stress on the long mills is a necessary.

Gary.