Tool Database for known bit sets

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
VirtutekVT
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 510

Tool Database for known bit sets

Post by VirtutekVT »

Hey folks... I'm extremely new to using VCarve and just got a new CNC machine. I bought a couple sets of Freud bits for starters and wanted to know if there are known tool database downloads that folks share for bits they already have? Sorry for the newb question. I started the process of adding each bit to my own tool database, but I'm not sure how to configure all of them due to their varying sizes.

Example, the rounded bits with a specific radius?

If there's a good tutorial, I'm OK with someone just pointing me in the right direction. I've watched the overview videos on the vectric site, but they're not as specific as I'm looking for.

Also, none of the settings have bit depth. Does that even matter, really? (I'm referring to the cutting bit depth of the cutting edges)

Lastly, are there up-cut versus down-cut settings?

Software: VCarve Desktop 10.5

Sorry for the newb questions...

Thanks!
Damon

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Tool Database for known bit sets

Post by gkas »

VirtutekVT

Post by VirtutekVT »

I've watched the video and I understand how the tool database works. I guess I'm interested to know more about some of the specific bits to use, such as:

- An up-cut spiral ball nose bit that has a 1/8" radius: Is it easier to just create a Form tool and make the geometry in VCarve and import it as shown?

- O-flute Straight Up-Cut Spiral Bit: Does the bit depth of the flute matter when making these tools?

- Engraving V-Groove Bit: I have the angle of the bit, but there doesn't seem to be a way to account for the depth of the bit. Is that easier to create a Form tool, as well? It would seem that it would matter, if the tool path can use the side of the bit versus just the tip of the bit?

Again, I know these are nuance questions, but wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks,
Damon

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Is it easier to just create a Form tool
The form tool is the tool of last resort. It is far better to use predefined tools such as ballnose, tapered ballnose, end mill, V-bit, engraving bit.

Also, the pass depth will be far more critical than the cutting edge length.

- An up-cut spiral ball nose bit that has a 1/8" radius
Define it as a ballnose bit with a 1/4" diameter.
- O-flute Straight Up-Cut Spiral Bit: Does the bit depth of the flute matter when making these tools?
Define it as an end mill. The depth of cut will be far more critical than the cutting edge length.
Engraving V-Groove Bit:
If it comes to a sharp point then define it as a V-bit If it has a flat or radius at the end then define it as an engraving bit.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

VirtutekVT

Post by VirtutekVT »

Thank you very much! I figured there was some sort of tips for how to set those. I appreciate the details of each one!

Frankly, I need to just start trying it out and seeing what works... I'm sure I'll learn the nuances as I go.

I appreciate you guys letting me as the "dumb questions" on here!

Damon
Rcnewcomb wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm
Is it easier to just create a Form tool
The form tool is the tool of last resort. It is far better to use predefined tools such as ballnose, tapered ballnose, end mill, V-bit, engraving bit.

Also, the pass depth will be far more critical than the cutting edge length.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I appreciate you guys letting me as the "dumb questions" on here!
Each person here started at the beginning. I was able to learn because others were willing to share their experiences and good judgement.

As FixItMike says:
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

We look forward to seeing photos of your first projects -- be they successes or failures.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop