Plywood Appearance Setting In Job Set Up

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
143WoodWorks
Model of CNC Machine: BobsCNC Evo 4

Plywood Appearance Setting In Job Set Up

Post by 143WoodWorks »

Hi folks!

What appearance setting should be used for Birch Plywood in the Job Setup of VCarve Desktop? I don't see plywood and MDF is the closest I think I can use. Just looking to use it for simple V-bit signs and testing - today will be my first carve and I don't want to waste the good wood I have.

Thanks!
T
Attachments
PlywoodSettingVCarveDesktop.jpg

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Plywood Appearance Setting In Job Set Up

Post by gkas »

143WoodWorks wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Hi folks!

What appearance setting should be used for Birch Plywood in the Job Setup of VCarve Desktop? I don't see plywood and MDF is the closest I think I can use. Just looking to use it for simple V-bit signs and testing - today will be my first carve and I don't want to waste the good wood I have.

Thanks!
T
The appearance settings are just that, for a realistic view. It is not for a simulation. You could make it shiny steel.

143WoodWorks
Model of CNC Machine: BobsCNC Evo 4

Post by 143WoodWorks »

Thank you!!!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Your other option if you need to simulate Birch ply would be to add it to the list :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

I have a collection of over 200 wood images in both horizontal and vertical orientations.

I'd give you a link, but my server git hit by lightning last night, so it'll be a few days before it gets back up.

Maybe someone who's grabbed vthem from me candy send them to ya.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Mikehell wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:44 am
I have a collection of over 200 wood images in both horizontal and vertical orientations.

I'd give you a link, but my server git hit by lightning last night, so it'll be a few days before it gets back up.

Why would you want that many? I guess we are all different but I only work with a handful of different woods so my list is fairly short, I think having horizontal & Vertical is a great idea & something I don't currently use so will look at doing that if I remember. Think you may have posted about this in the past & I thought then that both horizontal & Vertical was a good idea but never got round to making any changes :oops: :oops:

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

I think it would be interesting though if it were possible to render a kind of "artists concept" visual of what Baltic Birch plywood might look like when carved or modeled. The typical layer thickness is around .050 and the deeper one cuts the end grain exposure alternates. When stain or other finishing products are applied you can achieve some pretty striking visual results. I've done some 3D carves in plywood and gotten some cool results but you don't know what you'll get until it's done.

Ed

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think these are Mikehell's original wood images. Some of them I may have edited or rotated in Coral Paint.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yP19o2 ... sp=sharing
Steve

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

martin54 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:55 am
Mikehell wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:44 am

Why would you want that many? I guess we are all different but I only work with a handful of different woods so my list is fairly short, I think having horizontal & Vertical is a great idea & something I don't currently use so will look at doing that if I remember. Think you may have posted about this in the past & I thought then that both horizontal & Vertical was a good idea but never got round to making any changes :oops: :oops:
200 so that you can pick which ones you need and delete the others.