Do not update to a new post-processor if you had one that works!!

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Do not update to a new post-processor if you had one that works!!

Post by dealguy11 »

Over the last couple of weeks, there has been a lot of fuss about post-processors, usually after people have started using new post-processors that came with v10.5. In some cases these post-processors have not worked the same as older ones and people have complained about "bugs" in the Vectric software as a result. I've posted the following messages multiple times, but people don't seem to be able to find these postings, even though they've been posted each of the last few days. I'm going to post a separate topic on this, in the hopes that more people see it.

1. The first and biggest point is DON'T UPDATE YOUR POST-PROCESSOR if you don't have to. Post processors are specific to machines. If you have one that works, don't change it!!! You can make sure that your working post-processor copies from version to version by moving it to the My_PostP folder under Application Data Folders.

2. Post-processors are often provided by machine and controller manufacturers, and Vectric then provides them to you as part of the software. Post-processors tend to be very specific to machines. Vectric does not keep an inventory of several million dollars of CNC machines to check all the post-processors provided to them, so have to depend on the manufacturers and input from you to make sure they work as expected. Manufacturers often do a so-so job of checking the post-processors themselves, and it's not unusual for there to be problems. Sometimes the same post-processor won't even work on 2 different lines of machines from the same manufacturer. If you find a problem, the solution is to write a nice note to support@vectric.com, describing the problem and providing the post-processor that you're using, so that they can help you sort it out. The solution is not to write a nasty post on this forum about bugs in the Vectric software, because these issues are only rarely software bugs. Regardless, posting about them on the forum is way less likely to get a resolution than just sending them to support@vectric.com in the first place.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Do not update to a new post-processor if you had one that works!!

Post by Rcnewcomb »

-

What he said.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ctdodge
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL

Post by ctdodge »

While that sounds like great advice, it doesn't always hold true. In Vcarved Pro 10 I used Shapeoko MM post processor with my Shapeoko CNC. In 10.5 I used the same post processor that was provided with the upgrade and it ruined my project. So clearly, Vectric did something to the PP along the way. I'm now using a PP from a 3rd party on the Shapeoko forum.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

My point was you should not have used the one that came with v10.5. You should have stuck with the one from the prior version that worked. If it changed in v10.5 it's probably because Shapeoko changed it, not Vectric. Vectric just passed it along.

When I say use the same one from before, I don't mean use the one distributed with v10.5 that has the same name. I mean use the same actual post processor file from the previous version. There is always the possibility that a post processor distributed with a new release has been changed, even if it has the same name. Don't use it unless you know for a fact that it has some capability that you need or fixes a problem.
Steve Godding

TomGB
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SharkHD4

Post by TomGB »

Thanks Steve, I have 10.5 for my Shark CNC and have only run one project since installing it. I did use Next Wave's post processor that came with 10.5. Had no problems but had a scary moment. In the past whenever I selected a tool path and hit start the machine moved immediately. With the new version, when I hit start it sat there for 5+ seconds and then went to work. But you can imagine that was a long 5 seconds thinking Oh Crap???

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

ctdodge wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:28 am
While that sounds like great advice, it doesn't always hold true. In Vcarved Pro 10 I used Shapeoko MM post processor with my Shapeoko CNC. In 10.5 I used the same post processor that was provided with the upgrade and it ruined my project. So clearly, Vectric did something to the PP along the way. I'm now using a PP from a 3rd party on the Shapeoko forum.
That is exactly what DealGuy was getting at.

I use the post processor from my Version 4.5 on all the upgrades and it works perfectly with the upgrades.

And no, Vectric did not do "something" to the PP "along the way". The machine companies alter the post and provide it to Vectric to be included with the release of software. The machine companies change their machines and controls and send in a new post. Having worked for a machine company I can tell you for a fact that they are for the most part very lax about version control.

So my advice is to follow DealGuy's advice and avoid a lot of issues.

Good post DealGuy. We should keep bumping your post so it stays on the top for a while.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

bolingerbe
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by bolingerbe »

Is their a way to see if the post-processor in newer versions of Vectric software has been changed/upgraded?

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

I suppose you could do a line by line compare, but why?

If you aren't having problems with the old post-processor, and you haven't changed your machine or control software, then the likelihood that there are any helpful "upgrades" in a new post-processor is close to zero. When machine and control manufacturers upgrade their post-processors, it's usually to support a new machine or control (i.e., not YOUR machine or control).

Edit - if the machine manufacturer tells you to upgrade, that's a different thing. They usually have a reason, but you should dig in to find out why and whether it applies to your machine.
Steve Godding

Steve Misher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4

Post by Steve Misher »

When upgrading from 10.0 to 10.5, is there a prompt asking if you want to upgrade your post processor?
If not, how would I keep the current PP and not use the upgraded one?
My machine is working just fine with the processor I have been using since ver 8.5!

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

When doing a major upgrade (10.0 to 10.5, 10.5 to 11.0) there is usually a prompt that comes up the first time you open the upgraded program asking if you want to copy over specific things, like tool databases, etc. I can't look at it right now because I've already upgraded.

To keep the post-processor you're using right now, you copy it from the PostP folder to the My_PostP folder in Application Data Folders (you'll see a menu option to open Application Data Folders on the File menu in VCarve and Aspire). Next time you open VCarve, you should only see whatever post-processors you put in the My_PostP folder as options, and they will copy intact from version to version.
Steve Godding

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

dealguy11 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:39 am
.... If it changed in v10.5 it's probably because Shapeoko changed it, not Vectric. Vectric just passed it along....
TReischl wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:24 pm
...Vectric did not do "something" to the PP "along the way". The machine companies alter the post and provide it to Vectric to be included with the release of software. The machine companies change their machines and controls and send in a new post. Having worked for a machine company I can tell you for a fact that they are for the most part very lax about version control....
I have it on good authority from a source at C3D (maker of Shapeoko; there is no company called "Shapeoko") that "Carbide 3D certainly didn’t send it" meaning the post processor that came with the 10.5 upgrade.

I only checked with C3D because both of you separately made a statement of fact without stating that Vectric had told you that it was a fact. I'm inferring that you did not check with Vectric on the source of the problem post. I don't think we know how it got into the upgrade, so to place blame on Carbide 3D in such a forceful way is a bit premature.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

River Lodge Carl
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by River Lodge Carl »

Question for the experts. How do I get to the old Post Processor if I am using the new 10.5 version. I am fairly new to this so am probably a bit behind the power curve. I have a Shapeoko XL and have used the Shapeoko pp on version 10.0. How do I access that from 10.5?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

River Lodge Carl wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:56 pm
Question for the experts. How do I get to the old Post Processor if I am using the new 10.5 version. I am fairly new to this so am probably a bit behind the power curve. I have a Shapeoko XL and have used the Shapeoko pp on version 10.0. How do I access that from 10.5?
viewtopic.php?p=257654#p257654

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Tex, no one is placing "blame" on anyone. It is just the way these things work.

A fast look at the humongous list of posts makes it pretty clear that Vectric is not making changes to posts unless they are provided by either the machine company or someone using the machine in some quasi official manner, like a dealer, retailer, etc.

I do not need an "inside source" to tell me what goes on inside machine companies. I am my own source. When we introduced a new machine we would modify the posts from several different software companies (if they used what is known as a "universal post" and not a custom one). Then we would send it off to them so that customers who bought the machine could program it. To do it any other way would have been a nightmare. Software company modifies post, gee, does that work? No? Ok, how about this version? Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseam.

All that said, what would happen occasionally is a modification to the "universal post". Pretty rare, but it did happen. Then the customers who purchased the latest greatest would need to run the posts created with the new universal post to access new features. As time has gone by those changes have become farther and fewer between.

We are not out to get anyone or damage their reputations, this stuff happens.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

TReischl wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:10 pm
... It is just the way these things work.
A fast look at the humongous list of posts makes it pretty clear that Vectric is not making changes to posts unless they are provided by either the machine company or someone using the machine in some quasi official manner, like a dealer, retailer, etc.
I do not need an "inside source" ... We are not out to get anyone or damage their reputations, this stuff happens.
The reason I said "inside source" is because I don't have permission to use their name without asking. So, now I'm thinking that we really can't say that C3d / Shapeoko (or some quasi official) messed up a bunch of users work the first time out.

I think I'll wait for Vectric to explain the process of changing posts for upgrades, because it doesn't sound like anyone else knows.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.