Coping a paper pattern

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ChrisPen2020
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave Shark hd5 extended bed

Coping a paper pattern

Post by ChrisPen2020 »

I want to use my machine to cut out a pattern a usually do by hand. Its a paper pattern,how can I import the pattern? Can I just take a picture of it and use the trace feature?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Coping a paper pattern

Post by Adrian »

Best way would be to scan it if you have a scanner available (most modern printers scan as well) otherwise a photo will work but make sure you're as square on to it as possible.

Rather than use the inbuilt trace function I prefer to manually trace over the top of the imported bitmap using the drawing tools as I get much cleaner results that way.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I bought some intarsia plans, which came in a 24" x 36" size. I had FedEx scan them and put into a pdf file. From there, I was able to use various software like Aspire, Adobe Illustrator, Coral Draw, Photoshop, etc to get the vectors I needed.

Gary

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Can I just take a picture of it and use the trace feature?
If you do this place rulers along the length and width of the drawing. That makes it easier to get things scaled and squared.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

CanisLupus
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II (SR-44)

Post by CanisLupus »

ChrisPen2020 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:01 pm
... Can I just take a picture of it and use the trace feature?
If you have an Android phone (I don't know about and Apple version), take a look at the Microsoft Office Lens app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_US). This app allows you take an oblique photo and then rectify it. Imagine taking a photo of notes on a whiteboard while sitting off to the side of the whiteboard. This app will "square up" the photo. Overall, I've been happy with the results although text can be a problem at large oblique angles.

I'd draw some control points on the pattern with known distances and angles between them to check for skew / rubbersheeting. A square surrounding the pattern is a good start. And the square border will help the app rectify the image. Then I'd take a photo in Office Lens and use the resulting image for tracing.

ChrisPen2020

Post by ChrisPen2020 »

Thanks ill give that a try

ChrisPen2020

Post by ChrisPen2020 »

I was able to take a picture of plans, I took them outside out of the direct sunlight. It cut down on shadows and gave me crisper lines.
Here is first try at setting tool paths, i just have a little to cut by hand until I can setup my other tool paths.
Attachments
IMG_20200628_150418_01.jpg