Contemplating buying a Shapoko, but their speed/feed defaults make no sense.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Re: Contemplating buying a Shapoko, but their speed/feed defaults make no sense.

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Mikehell wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:31 pm
Something I can set running on a cut in the garage, go in and watch some TV.
You may wish to watch a few of the videos that clearly illustrate why it's not a best practice to leave the CNC running unattended for more than a few minutes. Fires happen. This is certainly a personal choice and I can absolutely appreciate how frustrating it can be to be tied to the shop while a long job runs...especially like the 7-8 hour run-times I had with a client project a little over a year ago for a complex 3D cut of architectural reproductions. What I've evolved to is working on something else while the machine is cutting something...it could be another project, cleaning/organizing, using a second computer at my bench to catch up on things, etc. But I don't leave for more than a potty break or to nuke something for lunch if necessary. If I really have to leave, I stop the job, note the line number and do a restart when I return.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Contemplating buying a Shapoko, but their speed/feed defaults make no sense.

Post by IslaWW »

Mikehell wrote:
Something I can set running on a cut in the garage, go in and watch some TV. I would prefer to get one that doesn't have that sensor on it that senses when you've left the room and messes up when said sensor is tripped. :)
Please do. Let us know when budget machines have fire sensors on them.

Make sure you take video, I can use the clicks :)

Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Jim in PA: +1

I regularly run long jobs. Only had one computer in the shop. Running another app or connecting to the internet could and would cause issues with the machine running. So there I sat, cleaned up the shop, surfed on a tablet, drank coffee/pepsi. But I could not do anything really productive like work on another design.

Finally solved the problem. Bought a second mini computer and flat screen. Total cost about $250. Now that computer runs the machine, is not connected to the internet and works great. Meanwhile, sitting right next to the machine, I work on my other computer doing whatever I feel like with no worries.

I still run Mach3. When I need to walk away for more than a few minutes I just hit the Pause button, stop the spindle. When I come back I come back, start the spindle and hit cycle start. All is good!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Not funny Gary, BUT was just thinking about that one as I'm about to do a cut without my Swiss Cheese spoilboard....And wondering about how many hold downs for first time in years:)

There's a reason they call them "Accidents"....finding my bit spinning with a broken tip IN the material one time...reminded me of Boy Scouts...and how to start a fire with a bow-drill.

NEVER very far away....and smoke detectors and 2 fire extinguishers between me and the machine on 5-12 hr 3Ds...and I'm always less than 50' away with door to shop open....even computer loading new code will make me levitate into wheelchair:)

The idea being Homeless.......Nightmare Stuff!!
scott
PS Wish Mr McGrew would post his "Oil" fire to educate house stainers and such of the dangers of ANY oxidization oil/any finishes and sawdust to mop it up!
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

IslaWW wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:15 pm
Mikehell wrote:
Something I can set running on a cut in the garage, go in and watch some TV. I would prefer to get one that doesn't have that sensor on it that senses when you've left the room and messes up when said sensor is tripped. :)

Technically, my machine isn't in a Garage. It's more of a basement lower level without a door (funky "modern" multi-level home built in the 70's). From my experience, you'll HEAR when the CNC goes crazy way before you see it. I suppose I maybe could smell smoke pretty easy. However, what's holding me back from using this spot is the noise of a router. A spindle may be quiet enough, maybe not. My China 3040 with a crappy spindle is very quiet. A Shapoko with a DeWalt router.. I'm gonna have to set up shop out in my storage building.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Mikehell wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:03 pm
IslaWW wrote:
Mikehell wrote:

Technically, my machine isn't in a Garage. It's more of a basement lower level without a door (funky "modern" multi-level home built in the 70's). From my experience, you'll HEAR when the CNC goes crazy way before you see it. I suppose I maybe could smell smoke pretty easy. However, what's holding me back from using this spot is the noise of a router. A spindle may be quiet enough, maybe not. My China 3040 with a crappy spindle is very quiet. A Shapoko with a DeWalt router.. I'm gonna have to set up shop out in my storage building.
I rest my case!
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Mikehell wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:03 pm
IslaWW wrote:
Mikehell wrote:

This video makes a point of what I used to teach when I taught CNC classes. I stressed, and repeatedly told them, IF YOU CAN'T HOLD IT, DON'T CUT IT! Most of my major fuck-ups have come from stock not being firmly secured to the table. That and miscalculation of where I put screws or clamps.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

TReischl wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:19 pm
I regularly run long jobs. Only had one computer in the shop. Running another app or connecting to the internet could and would cause issues with the machine running. So there I sat, cleaned up the shop, surfed on a tablet, drank coffee/pepsi. But I could not do anything really productive like work on another design.

Finally solved the problem. Bought a second mini computer and flat screen. Total cost about $250. Now that computer runs the machine, is not connected to the internet and works great. Meanwhile, sitting right next to the machine, I work on my other computer doing whatever I feel like with no worries.
Ted, I fortunately do a variety of project types for clients as well as for my own pleasure, so there's almost always "something" I can work on. But having my backup Macbook Pro in the shop, too, makes it convenient to sit and waste time when I want to. :) My CNC controller machine (Win10 with WinCNC) is connected to the Internet and there's no issue with me "surfing" or doing other things on it while a job is running...it has enough memory, etc., for that...but I have to stand there to do that and it's uncomfortable other than for a quick check of something.