Cutie boxes from Michael

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
River Lodge Carl
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Cutie boxes from Michael

Post by River Lodge Carl »

How do I rotate the cutie box file to orientation of 18 wide by 9 high? My machine will not cut the 18 inch height. I set new material parameters and tried to rotate the files to get to the new orientation but none of the file moved. I had the material size correct but the files did not move with the rotate tool. I tried selecting the vectors and then rotate but no luck. is there a way to change the orientation so that I can cut this on my machine?
thanks

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Cutie boxes from Michael

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Carl,

Sounds like you started on the right track, but need a little more assistance.

After you select everything, press the number “9” on your computer keyboard twice to rotate it all by 90-degrees.

Then, change your material size to the landscape orientation layout (exchange the height and width).

Then select everything except the text wording and press F9 on your keyboard to center it all.

Now the layout should be correct and ready to recalculate your Toolpaths.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

River Lodge Carl

I was able to reorient the file using the number 9 key as you indicated. However I don't have an f9 as I am using a laptop. I had to drag and drop it to get the orientation unless there is another way to center everything. My problem being new to this is that I am left with the original file image in the original position. It is confusing and I have I don't know how to get just the file I need on the new orientation. I am afraid it will cut all the vectors, those with the new orientation and the old ones. I had thought that when I selected all vectors the original vectors would move as well and not be left behind.
I have ended up with two images and want to get rid of the original orientation ones so I know where I am. What am I doing wrong?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Carl,

You are making progress!

Now, all laptops do have the “function keys”. The "Fn" (or "FN" or "Function") key on laptop PCs is usually found in the lower-left corner of the keyboard, near the "Shift" and "Ctrl" (Control) keys.

Hold down your Fn key, then press the number 9. This is equivalent to a dedicated F9 function key found on most desktop keyboards. So, you will be able to use any function key shortcut, even on your laptop. (F1, F2, F3...and so on)

Regarding your double image, I have a question for you. Did you recalculate all the Toolpaths after rotating the project? (You do need to do that.) Please let me know.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Just following-up with you, Carl. Did you get everything figured out or do you need some more help? Holler if you do!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

River Lodge Carl

Michael:
I have not recalculated the toolpaths yet. I hope to do that today when I get a chance. Sorry for the late reply, but I am in Alaska and there is a 4 hour time difference between us.
I appreciate the help.

River Lodge Carl

Michael:
Did the recalculation and the original image did go away. Thanks. for the help. I will let you know how I do. I am working with a Shapeoko XL. New to this but having a learning time. I appreciate it.
Carl

River Lodge Carl

Michael:
How do I remove the mushroom and love from the lids? I am in a fishing community and I would like to replace them with an anchor image. I highlighted only those two vectors and tried to use the cut function, but was still left with the toolpath image. Sorry to be so inept, but it is a bit of a curve for me at 77.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Carl,

Thank you for keeping me posted on your progress. You’re doing great!

When you make any changes at all to a design layout, you must recalculate the Toolpath(s). If that is not done, then the original Toolpath(s) remain intact. This is why recalculating is so very important - to make certain you don’t have any “leftover” Toolpaths before actually running a job.

The Toolpath Preview feature is the best way to visually verify what the outcome will be, prior to running a project. If the preview doesn’t look exactly like you expect, this is your “early warning” system and calls for your investigation to make corrections.

So remember to always recalculate after making any changes to your projects, then run the Toolpath Preview simulation to confirm all looks as it should.

After deleting the original lid vectors, you can recalc and preview. The lids will now be plain.

You can then add your new vector image and create and calculate a new VCarve Toolpath for that and run the preview to verify outcome for your lid design.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

River Lodge Carl

Michael: Sorry to keep bothering you.

I was able to place image of the anchor and ships wheel on the lids. Created the toolpaths and ran the preview. It all came looked fine fine. I then tried to save those calculated files together with the original 60 degree file you had but I am not able to put them together as one file. I get the error message that the visible files require a tool change and can't be saved together. I thought that if I selected only the files I want to save it would work. I want to be able to cut all of the 60 degree files one after the other and then make a tool change to do the pocket and cutout. Is there a way to save all of the files I checked into one file so it can be machined together one after the other? I am confused a bit here. I thought it would be straight forward that if I checked the box next to the file it would stack them up to be saved as one.
Also I ran the pocket file with my 1/4 end mill and it cut completely through the material. What do I need to change so that I don't keep making kindling for the fireplace.
Thanks in advance for the help.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

The 60 degree must be the same identical bit for all 60 degree toolpaths selected! Then there would be no need for a tool change and you would not get the error message.

Example: CMT V-Bit (60 deg 0.5" dia.) Michael's v-bit if yours is not the same(identical) as this then you cannot combine to a single tooplath.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

River Lodge Carl

Thanks, I will be sure to enter my Amana 60 degree v bit and haver another go at it.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Carl,

Let us know how it goes for you!

Don’t forget to reset your Z-Zero position after changing to your End Mill. Perhaps that was why it carved all the way through the material? Or, perhaps the existing safe Z setting is too high for your particular machine, causing the router to hit the Z limit and causing loss of your Z-Zero setting.

Always check the existing settings and make changes that are appropriate for your machine before running a project, just to be on the safe side.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

River Lodge Carl

Michael:
I guess I am ready to say uncle. I don't have any idea as to why I continue to cut through the pocket. I have, I thought but evidently not, gotten all of the correct parameters put into the g code program. But at this point I am ready to give up. I can't continue to ruin expensive wood, yes even pine here in Alaska is expensive. I changed the safe z height from 1.8 to .5 ,that resulted in the z carriage not going all the way to the top of the z and cancelling out the z- zero I had set. I have the depth set to .5 on the toolpath which I thought would have the cut stop at .5 inches but It kept going right on through the material. It ignored the . 5 inch depth. I zero the z at the top of the material. I reset the zero after a bit change as required. z. Nothing seems to fix the issue. I am to inexperienced with this to understand what is set improperly so that the pocket cut goes right through the material. I thought that using your files would be simple but I can see there is no way that I can use them out of the box, so to speak. I am at a loss. Getting my first cnc at 77 years old may have been too big a learning curve. I have had some success with v carving names on wood, but none with the cuties.

Thanks for your help.

River Lodge Carl

Michael:
I guess I am ready to call uncle on trying to do the cutie boxes. I had thought that I could use your files right out of the box, so to speak. I changed the safe z height to .5 inches so the z carriage wouldn't fly up to the top and cancel out the z-zero I had set. I set the depth of cut to .5 inches so I could be sure to have the cut not go all the way through the material. It did not work. It cut through the material again. I have no idea where the problem lies. I am too inexperienced to understand what needs to be changed. I can't continue to ruin wood trying to get the boxes done. Even pine here in Alaska is expensive. I set the z at zero after the tool change when needed. It does not seem to matter. I took a picture of my latest attempt, but have had no success in uploading it to this chat. Getting this cnc at 77years old may be too much of a learning curve. The vcarve program does not seem to be too intuitive. Lots of data that effects the outcome. I am sure it is that way to make it more flexible, but there are mysteries built in without much explanation as to how to properly set items up. I will try the solunar box and see if that is also a problem.

Thanks for the help.