English Tea Tray

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
pjschwa
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 5.0

English Tea Tray

Post by pjschwa »

Hi..First, a sincere thanks to all who have helped me as I read through the many many helpful posts. I have learned a ton from. I am stuck on something and hoping the experts can set me on a better path. It may be very simple solution or I may be just going down the wrong road. I'm trying to replicate a proper English tea tray which has sides that that are flared...angle outwards as they rise from the base. There is a cove on the outside and inside of the sides. I thought I could cut the sides with a two-sided moulding toolpath. It seems to be working, but I cannot get the the simple cove curves I drew to reach the set depth. In the attached 3D preview, the bottom (longer) cove which represents the outside of the tray side, should extend 3/8 (outwards) from the base. However, when I cut it I'm getting a much shallower curve. Cant figure out what I'm doing wrong and any thoughts/solution would be most welcome.

Thanks!!
Attachments
English Tea Tray.jpg

pjschwa

Re: English Tea Tray

Post by pjschwa »

Did I say something wrong or just an unclear description on my problem?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

I’m sorry there’s been no follow-up to your question. Perhaps it is an issue of clarity. Will you please upload your actual project file here? Or, if the file is too large, upload it to DropBox (or similar file service) and post the download link.

There are several people familiar with the Moulding Toolpath that should be able to help, especially once the file is available for a “look-see”.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

pjschwa

Post by pjschwa »

To simplify, the attached molding profile is not cutting down to 0.375. At the bottom it is about 0.21 from the top. I am not a total novice but feel like a novice tonight.
Attachments
molding profile.PNG

pjschwa

Post by pjschwa »

Many thanks Michael. I believe the file is now attached
Attachments
English tea tray 052720.crv
(70.5 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

pjschwa

Post by pjschwa »

Hi...adding another file to describe my issue. I have attached a cross section of the tray side. As per above, I've been trying to cnc out of walnut using the molding toolpath...to no avail. The left and right profiles are not cutting to depth.

Thanks!
Attachments
Cross Section.PNG

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The tip of the bit will not cut beyond the deepest part of the profile. As a result, a moulding path cut with a ballnose that goes only as deep as the material is thick will end up with a lip at the end of the cut due to the radius of the ballnose. The profile has to extend either beyond or below the edge of the material to eliminate the lip. Same for the ends of the toolpath.

Previewing your toolpath, the resulting maximum depth is .3753.

Also, if you are attempting to cut the profile vertically, it has to be rotated (and possibly mirrored) before you calculate the toolpath.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

pjschwa

Post by pjschwa »

Thanks very much FixitMike. Yes, I did invert and rotate the profiles.

I am cutting horizontally using 1 inch stock (which is the total width of the tray side). My main issue is that the cut is not reaching the maximum depth of .3753 which is what renders on the preview. It Is cutting a lot shallower. And I guess I don’t know how to extend the profile without going past 1.6 inches. And Thanks again