array copy toolpath tool change question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
duster
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre Pro 408

array copy toolpath tool change question

Post by duster »

I'm trying to array copy toolpaths for cabinet parts that require 2-3 tool changes. A drilling cycle for line boring, a pocket for dados, and a profile cut. When I array copy the toolpath, it cycles through all 3 tools for each cabinet side before moving on to the next one. Is there a way have it complete the drilling cycle on all 6 sides first, then all the pockets for dados, and then finally profiling all the sides? I checked the minimize tool change box, but when I preview it, I see 18 tool changes to complete one sheet. Is there a more efficient way to do this?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: array copy toolpath tool change question

Post by adze_cnc »

duster wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:08 am
I checked the minimize tool change box, but when I preview it, I see 18 tool changes to complete one sheet. Is there a more efficient way to do this?
I’ve never actually used the array copy toolpath. I ran through creating one and the “Minimize tool changes” worked as ‘advertised’ in the help file: https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.5/VCar ... lpath.html

Did you recalculate the arrayed toolpath after selecting the checkbox?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

If you put the vectors that each tool cuts on a separate layer, you can use the Vector Selection--Selector (at the bottom of each toolpath window) for each tool and assign them to cut the vectors on the applicable layer(s). Calculate the toolpaths after you have arrayed your parts.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

Post by carbidetooth »

Duster, you surely have Mopar in your blood, yeah?

I do something similar but not with cabinet parts specifically. I place the parts to the side of my defined work area, usually 49x97, and then pull copies of parts I need to cut into work area. As Mike suggested, I have differing layers depending on tool used for that operation.
From here I use the nesting tool and assign number of parts I want cut on the parts in work area and then nest. Once nested, I can open layer I'm toolpathing, quickly highlight those parts and figure a separate tool path. Once done, I can merge toolpaths using same tool.

The one thing I haven't done is to combine those merged toolpaths in to a single "macro". Why? Because I've never done it and I'm right there in the shop anyway so I just manually start them in the sequence I see fit. Typically starting with dados and rabbets, then drilling, then profile cutout.

Reading that it occurs to me it's pretty murky. I'm afraid I'm a better "doer" than "teacher". Would be happy to talk on phone or perhaps film process.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Have a look at the video on toolpath templates from Vectric. This is the approach for what you want to achieve. It requires you or your cabinet software to keep your unique processes on defined layers. Apply tool paths templates and calculate. Voom there are your three toolpaths per sheet.
Alternatively you can keep blank files preset with layers and toolpaths saved for each material you use. Draw or import your vectors into that file and save with a new name. Recalculate the tool paths and cut.
Either way you will have only three tool changes per sheet.