:P
John
Maker of Chips

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Re: Cutting a 3D profile along linework

Post by BillK »

Not in V-carve. You need Aspire or another 3D program to generate an stl to use in V-carve.

Mountain road for hotwheels?
Attachments
196D827F-C8F3-4B32-B2B2-CBD8B1914F7D.jpeg
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Sleeping quarters for a pet snake?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CanisLupus
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II (SR-44)

Post by CanisLupus »

BillK wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am
Not in V-carve. You need Aspire or another 3D program to generate an stl to use in V-carve.

Yes, let's go with mountain road for Hot Wheels :D

The problem with a model (at least as I see it) is I lose the ability to change bits and get a different outcome. If I can figure out how to use a single toolpath - like the fluting toolpath - I can change from a V-bit to a round nose bit to an endmill and get three different outcomes. On the other hand, using a model would require three different models, one for each cross-section, correct?

I looked at the fluting toolpath. It definitely has limits in this scenario but conceptually that's what I want. I just need user-defined cut depths.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

CanisLupus wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:41 pm
BillK wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am

Yes, let's go with mountain road for Hot Wheels :D

The problem with a model (at least as I see it) is I lose the ability to change bits and get a different outcome. If I can figure out how to use a single toolpath - like the fluting toolpath - I can change from a V-bit to a round nose bit to an endmill and get three different outcomes. On the other hand, using a model would require three different models, one for each cross-section, correct?

I looked at the fluting toolpath. It definitely has limits in this scenario but conceptually that's what I want. I just need user-defined cut depths.
Not the way I see it. The model is for nothing more than controlling the Z depth. Which tool you use is up to you. Do you understand the concept of projecting a profile cut or pocket cut onto a 3D surface?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Scott,

I’m sure we’ll be able to help you achieve your goal(s) with whatever project you have in mind.

It will help us help you when you are able to provide us with an actual project layout in the Vectric software. I understand this may not be possible until you have purchased your CNC and software (I highly recommend Aspire so you will have ALL options available for any project requirement).

But, until then, we are happy to do what we can - even if it does require some guesswork at our end!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

There are many different ways to approach this. The fluting toolpath is one solution.

Another approach is to use the V-carve toolpath. The Z depth of the cut is controlled by the distance between two lines. The XY travel will be down the centerline between the two lines.

If I draw a curvy line, mirror it, and join it into a closed vector then I can use it for V-carving.
VaryingZdrawing.JPG
If I toolpath it specifying a 1" ballnose, or a 1" 90 degree V-bit then the Z depth will be 0.5" deep where the lines are 1" apart. (Note: be sure to set up the toolpath so it is done in a single pass).

If I do a profile cut down the centerline of my V-carve I can see the varying Z.
VaryingZtoolpath.JPG

When I machine this it is possible to load a 1/4" end mill into the machine. The code generated will still follow the centerline and the end mill will still change Z-depth. The downside is you would not have an exact preview, but I believe this approach could work.

CRV file attached.
Attachments
VaryingZ.crv
(70.5 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

RalphPitz
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus

Post by RalphPitz »

Maybe the original poster was looking to do something like the attached. As many people have suggested a 3D model was the only way I could get smooth changes in Z (Z height corresponds to sine wave)
WavePocketCut.jpg
SineWave.jpg
WaveVectors.jpg

CanisLupus

Post by CanisLupus »

TReischl wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm
Not the way I see it. The model is for nothing more than controlling the Z depth. Which tool you use is up to you. Do you understand the concept of projecting a profile cut or pocket cut onto a 3D surface?
I tried projecting onto the model and it will work for now. This technique isn't an optimal solution due to the added steps of building and tweaking the model.

Down the road and depending on how often I need to create these profiles, I might look into writing a gadget. The FlutePlus (https://paulrowntree.weebly.com/gadgets.html) gadget seems to be close to what I want. Unfortunately, there re some issues getting those older scripts to run on VCarve 10.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If that gadget will do what you want then it's only a matter of changing one argument to a call to get it working in V10.

viewtopic.php?p=239252#p239252

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Can you find a 3D model that has the Z contour you want?
Then draw the XY path vector, and cut a very shallow profile with the Project toolpath onto 3D model box checked.
It will, of course, make the cut with a single pass, since the program assumes that all of the material above the model has been removed.

Oops. Already suggested. I skipped the last couple of posts.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

CanisLupus

Post by CanisLupus »

Adrian wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:19 pm
If that gadget will do what you want then it's only a matter of changing one argument to a call to get it working in V10.

viewtopic.php?p=239252#p239252
Google led me to that post early this morning. I made the change and the gadget now works in VCarve 10. Thanks for posting the link for others following along.