Lead In / Lead Out

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Lead In / Lead Out

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

I finally have a reason (or so I think) to use Lead In and/or Lead out. Problem is a bit mark on the edge of a pocket. I've used a roughing toolpath with a 0.020" pocket allowance, and then came back with a 0.005" deeper pocket without an allowance. I still get a sort of random bit mark on the side.

So, I'm going to try a Lead In / Lead Out, but that doesn't seem to have a way to do this on a pocket. I can't find a way to get the Leads to the cut side of the pocket. They are always on the material side as if they were designed for the outline profile.

Any idea how to do this without resorting to a separate open vector path? (I'm guessing.)

Vcarve 10 Desktop / Windows

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Lead In / Lead Out

Post by dealguy11 »

If you make it 2 toopaths you should be able to get the leads to work, with the leads starting from the inside. First toolpath would be the pocket with a pocket allowance. Second toolpath is a profile toolpath cutting inside the vector with no allowance. Set up the leads in the profile path however you need them. Make sure the start point of the profile cut vector is not at a corner. See example.
Attachments
Lead.crv
(34 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Steve Godding
D&S Artistic Woodworking http://www.dsartisticwood.com

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of a profile pass, but that works perfectly. Now if I can just get the wood to cooperate ... :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:37 pm
Problem is a bit mark on the edge of a pocket. I've used a roughing toolpath with a 0.020" pocket allowance, and then came back with a 0.005" deeper pocket without an allowance. I still get a sort of random bit mark on the side.
Should you be using the 3D Roughing Toolpath for this job? Wouldn’t strictly using Pocket toolpaths be better?

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Should you be using the 3D Roughing Toolpath for this job?
Well, no. I didn't actually say "3D" in my post. I see what you were thinking, though.

If I have a large pocket, I'll sometimes create an offset with allowance to quickly get the pocket. Then I'll come back with a finishing toolpath based on the previous roughing toolpath. Seems like I get a better cut (except for those start/stop bit marks.)