V-Carve going bonkers carving wrong places in model

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
hack613
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Various 6040, 3020, 2020

V-Carve going bonkers carving wrong places in model

Post by hack613 »

I made the file in inkscape (attached), it was really flakey when I opened it in v-carve. I saved the svg as a pdf and it's better but it removes parts it shouldn't.

I'm doing a v-carve toolpath with two tools.

Any thoughts?

Have I happened across a bug or is there something wrong with my file?

Thanks in advance...
Attachments
dandyblast3_1Yellow.crv
(622 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
dandyblast3_1Yellow.pdf
(14.58 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
dandyblast3_1Yellow2.crv
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
dandyblast3_1Yellow.zip
(74.11 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: V-Carve going bonkers carving wrong places in model

Post by Adrian »

There are lots of intersections in the vectors. I notice you're using v9. Situations like that are handled better in the latest version and it will point out the issues as you're creating the toolpath.

The Vector Validator will pick up a lot of the issues and you can fix them from there. It's the outside rectangle overlapping the shapes that is causing 99% of the issue. Remove that or space it away then it will work a lot better.

hack613
Vectric Apprentice

Post by hack613 »

Thanks for the reply.

I ran updates and it's still at version 9.

How to get the makerspace version to 10? Or are we stuck at 9 because we're a makerspace?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It's a chargeable upgrade. I don't know how the Makerspace side of it works. You would need to contact Vectric to find out what the costs are etc.

You can certainly fix that file in V9. V10 would just give you warnings that there were issues rather than you finding out yourself via the weird toolpath. If you fix those overlaps/intersections it should work fine and you would need to do that in either version.

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

dandyblast3 (yellow) appears to work fine when you select a V-Carve tool. When I opened the file and checked the tooling you had only specified a clearance tool. Once I selected a 60 degree V-bit and recalculated It worked as it should.

Bill

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Bill_L wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:03 pm
dandyblast3 (yellow) appears to work fine when you select a V-Carve tool. When I opened the file and checked the tooling you had only specified a clearance tool. Once I selected a 60 degree V-bit and recalculated It worked as it should.

Bill
Which version though? V10 will generate a usable toolpath (but gives warnings about the vectors) whereas V9 doesn't which is the version the OP is using.

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

I used version 9.519. However I did not get the vector warning until I opened and recalculated it in Aspire 10 (release version). With a little tweaking of vectors it should work fine.

Bill

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

hack613: This will work in version 9.x if you just offset your “fence” vector outwards by a 1/32” or so. You fence vector overlaps your starburst vectors (especially at the top) and that is confusing VCarve.

Personally, I would treat this differently. I would model the “negative” space and not the starbursts. After all you are cutting away the space in between and not the actual objects.

Steven

hack613
Vectric Apprentice

Post by hack613 »

Thanks for replying everybody. We didn't upgrade as that'd be more money which is sparse right now.

I saw the comment about expanding the fence a bit. I will start doing that in general.

What I did for this was I wound up hand carving the part. I managed to get the hard part done on the cnc so the hand carving didn't take too long.

It came out okay. The rest of the tool paths in the project worked so I was able to get this working...