Creating molds from imported images

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rburke
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1

Creating molds from imported images

Post by Rburke »

Hi Y'all,
Got one of those questions where the answer is probably right in front of me, but I'm stuck. I am running a CAMaster Stinger, just upgraded to V Carve Pro 10. Most of what I have done has been 2D cutouts and some fairly straight forward engraving. I am moving toward 3D type stuff and whatever else I can get into trouble with. Right now I am interested in the process needed to created deep reverse image engravings like the kind you would need for cookie molds that are pressed into dough. (Springerle Cookies, I have kids that like to bake) Also, is there any way to take the 3D clip art designs and create a negative engraving. Tried it without success. I don't have any particular image to show you, just experimenting.
Thanks in advance.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Creating molds from imported images

Post by TReischl »

I do not run VCarve but I would be surprised if you cannot set a model to "subtract". That will create the negative image you are looking for.

One of the issues with molds is getting deep models to release. That has been an issue ever since they started casting things back in the bronze age. The solution is to add a draft angle which created angled sides. I am pretty sure you do not have that ability in VCarve so you might want to think about upgrading.

I also am sending you a PM in a few minutes.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Rburke

Post by Rburke »

Really appreciate the advice. I was thinking the same thing about subtracting the image but what I have found so far in the modeling tab when it comes to controlling Z height is that the lowest you can go is zero. I'm sure I watched someone dealing with this once in a video, just can't remember where. As far as the angled sides, I was reading a convo earlier where some guys were talking about the same issue. I have seen in my not so great experiments that I can get that effect with a VCarve Bit. I will look into that further. What's really got my interest going is stepping out of my comfort zone (been doing the same thing for a while now) and seeing how much I have to learn and how much can be done!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

You can try creating your own custom v-carve style projects for making cookie stamps (doesn’t require any modeling nor Draft features).

I made a free Vectric project called “Festive Cookie Stamps” a few years ago. You can download it and look it over to get some ideas for making your own version.

Here is a link to that project description:

https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... okieStamps
Attachments
Stamps-Rack-Cookies_2048x1536.jpg
PA240082.JPG
Last edited by mtylerfl on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rburke

Post by Rburke »

Think I am getting somewhere. There are some tools in the modeling tab that does reverse the image. Messed with it a little just now and saw some encouraging results. Wasn't trying to be accurate, just firing for effect. Going back to try and complete a good model.

Rburke

Post by Rburke »

Your'e right, I saw that project and it could give me some pointers. How did you like how it came out?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Rburke wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:23 pm
Your'e right, I saw that project and it could give me some pointers. How did you like how it came out?
Even though I say so myself, it came out perfectly. Exactly how I planned it. :D
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

http://www.carvewright.com/make-your-ow ... ling-pins/
I know you weren't particularly talking rolling pins but the above link may give you some pointers

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not sure I am following what you are saying? Maybe it's something to do with how you have your z axis set up. Anyway as Ted has already said you could experiment with the existing clipart to see how that works out, some might work OK for moulds & some may not, it's not something I have done personally although I keep meaning to have a go :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just select subtract as the combine state for the model & if your cutting below the material surface then don't forget to add a zero plane

This way one quick example done with the clipart in the software.
subtract1.jpeg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I have done a bunch of this stuff for my wife and her clay projects. And no, I do not eat the clay!

One thing I have figured out is how to get sorta sticky stuff to come out without wrecking it when it is in a mold.

Create little feet on the corners of the mold on the side where the shape is. Then it is easy to just turn it upside down and tap it on a surface. Out comes the clay.

Now that I think about it. . . I should have talked my wife out of clay stuff and convinced her that cookies were more fun to make. What was I thinking!!!!!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns