Multipe Profile Cuts

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rfmarcinik
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre

Multipe Profile Cuts

Post by rfmarcinik »

On my Flat, I created 3 Vector Loops that I will cut using the Profile Button. I located the Vector Loops next to each other and the distance is the width of the cutter. Does this create problems for VCarve? How should I do this for optimal results?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Multipe Profile Cuts

Post by TReischl »

Not being snarky. . . .

You should work through some of the beginning tutorials on VCarving. They will explain how it works much better than a back and forth here on the forum and get you going much quicker.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

…or at the very least an image of what you are attempting to do would help. We can’t see what you see. A “vector loop”? What’s that—a circle, a square, an outline of a pigeon, something else?

rfmarcinik
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre

Post by rfmarcinik »

Hi,
This is my flat.
fixture-plane-lumber.pdf
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
The distance between the "Vector Loops" is 1/2". There are three for the three parts I am making. I am using a 5/16" diameter end mill so the Toolpath overlaps a little. I got it to work today. Before doing this, I thought about making the distance 5/16" between each "Vector Loop". I thought this would save time, but VCarve did not create Toolpaths.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

You could still leave a distance of 5/16" between vector loops and cut using one profile toolpath on each and save them all together as one toolpath provided same tool is used for all three vector loops. This is an ideal way to save on material or if you only have a certain size material (limited to space) to work with.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

rfmarcinik wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:44 am
Before doing this, I thought about making the distance 5/16" between each "Vector Loop". I thought this would save time, but VCarve did not create Toolpaths.
5/16” is 0.3125 exactly. But what if, because computer representations of floating point numbers is never 100% exact, the toolpath algorithm has rounded it to 0.3130? Now that tool can’t go between vectors that are 5/16” apart.

One error that I keep receiving, with multiple pass cut throughs, is something like: the material thickness is 0.625” and the toolpath is cutting 0.625” deep. This might cut through into the machine.

Because of dividing the 5/8” material by the step-down amount there is a rounding error somewhere the program thinks that its cutting, say, 0.626” deep or some other thing. Click OK and get on with it has been my solution.

Steven