inlay into 3D object?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
markbonham
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

inlay into 3D object?

Post by markbonham »

Looking for ideas here:

1. Goal is to carve a pocket using the inlay toolpath into a 3D object that is concave (bottom of a dish).
2. I have used the v-bit and regular pocket tools to cut into 3D objects that are curved because you can check the box telling these toolpaths to carve into the 3D object instead of setting a depth--but there is no such box in the inlay pocket toolpath.
3. Best solution I've come up with so far is to form the bowl with a bowl 3D object, then add a smaller flat disc 3D object in the bottom of the bowl to create a flat spot in the middle of the bottom of the bowl--then I can use the inlay pocket toolpath on that 3D disc because it is flat and has a known depth. Still, I'd prefer being able to do this with a truly rounded bowl and no flat spot.

Any ideas, gurus?

Mark

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Re: inlay into 3D object?

Post by ZipperHead55 »

I have been thinking about doing something like this before, but I suspect it isn't as easy as one would think, due to the geometries involved.

I was able to do somewhat the opposite: I wanted to have a domed shape for a lid, and then carve out the back of a crest to match that shape (2-sided carving). After a bit of trial and error, I was able to do it, but it was too much work for too little gain IMO.

I would like to do an inlay in a complex shape, but I'm not up to the task to be the first and/or to document the process if I was clever enough to do it. A simple one (basically like putting a dowel shape into something) would be easy enough, but if you have to calculate 30/60 degree angles, with a perfect fit, that might be another story.

Allan

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Any particular reason why you want to use the Inlay toolpath?

Not something I have done but could you not use the V-inlay technique that was developed by Paul Zank ??

Since that users the Vcarve toolpath you can project onto a 3D surface, like I say not something I have done so just guessing :lol: :lol:

markbonham
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Post by markbonham »

The inlay toolpath does fancy things to make corners fit that the regular pocket doesn't do--as I understand it. The v-bit inlay technique may be worth investigating--I'll look into that. Thanks, all!

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

No guru here but I did this inlay last Fall onto a convex shape using the Zank V-inlay technique. Key was to cut the male inlays onto the base shape with the combine mode set to subtract. I would definitely be looking into the V-inlay procedure for your project. Lots of good info about this on the forum here.

Male inlay for the branch
IMG_8148_Resized.JPG
Finished piece
DSC_0155 resize.JPG
The pink ivory wood flowers fit just a teeny bit loose which I believe was due to not setting a large enough flat depth on the male inlay.

Although I have not done it, I believe this same procedure will work on a bowl.
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get