Transporting a CNC machine

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
boatman811
Model of CNC Machine: Pirhana FX

Transporting a CNC machine

Post by boatman811 »

Hi folks, I know that this is not specifically a Vectric question but thought it was a good place to start.
I plan on doing a lot of traveling around the country, camping for months at a time. I have a Pirhana FX and would like to take it with me least I go into withdrawal. Does antone out there travel with theirs? What precautions do you take? Did you build a special case to protect the machine? I was considering a platform with some shopping k absorbing springs. The machine would be inside the truck cab not in the bed. Any comments?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Transporting a CNC machine

Post by TReischl »

About the only thing I can suggest is to figure out a way to make sure nothing can move when it is going down the road.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

We've thought about this too. However, we'd need to carry all the other shop tools along with a very heavy CNC machine.
A mobile wood shop? Whoo-boy!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

From the sounds of it you want to be able to DO something while you are traveling about. If the cnc router idea doesn't pan out maybe get a 3d printer and learn to use it while motoring around.

Then you can help me figure mine out, LOL.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

BessieHunter
Model of CNC Machine: NWA Shark II

Post by BessieHunter »

I carried my Shark II with me in my 5th wheel trailer for 2 years. I built a platform that sat in the under storage and hauled it there. I built a collapsible table out of 1/2 plywood that I would set it up on when I wanted to use it. I laid a piece a 1/4 ply under the router and lowed it so the collet nut rested on it, and that was enough to keep it from moving while in transport.