Ted, what 3D printer did you get?
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Faceshield design if anyone wants.

Post by TReischl »

John, a Creality Ender 3, not the pro version since all the pundits said it was not worth it for all sorts of reasons.

I may have to update my estimate of first parts. . . . started assembling and making sure things are correct, like the uprights being parallel, etc. Gonna take a bit of finessing. And then, those screws are so darn little! LOL

So far though I am pretty impressed with it. The packaging was deluxe to the max. The only issue so far has been the uprights, out of parallel over .125 from top to bottom. That took some tweaking. If it continues to be an issue I will put it on the mini mill and square up the bottoms but I am not sure that is the real problem, may be the horizontal base members are not quite right.

Great project for these times!

For $200 I am not going to get all picky and uppity about it.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

ezurick wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:09 am
TReischl wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:26 pm
What is this face shield supposed to protect us from?
Something tells me you are a prime Fox News watcher? The "fake news" is really fake news you know...
Lets not start with crass political muckraking in this forum of all places, considering the number of places you can go to spout [facebook, reddit, twitter]
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

TReischl wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 pm
John, a Creality Ender 3, not the pro version since all the pundits said it was not worth it for all sorts of reasons.
Ted, you don't have to worry about what to print for a while, you'll spend a lot of time printing "upgrades" to your printer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Maker of Chips

RhoTu
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RhoTu »

Got my Creality Ender printer right before Christmas. I had one potential use for it. Since then I have had that thing running probably 40 hours a week. So many new ideas that can be Cad and mfg in a short period of time for pennies. Limited only by size and imagination. Thanks for the mask info!

RT

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Minor miracles will never cease! Got mine assembled and adjusted and right now it is printing out that little doggy thingamajig.

I have all sorts of ideas for it besides making upgrades, which I will do pronto.

One of them is step clamps for the cnc router. Like the ones used on a milling machine. Wonder how many I will under engineer before I get a good one?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Ted,
You might take a look at this guy's clamps, might give you some ideas...
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

highpockets wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:03 pm
Ted,
You might take a look at this guy's clamps, might give you some ideas...
Thanks John, I have been subscribed to his channel for about six months now. Those are pretty much what I had in mind.

Edit: I am going to attempt the clamp bar from plastic also because wooden ones I have made always fail along the grain lines.

My first print is progressing along nicely so far. It is taking a long time because it is doing 0.1mm layers. Most of the people I have watched tend to use 0.2mm. This was an included file so I just had to do it! My wife thinks I have lost what little remains of my mind because I keep saying WOW!

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Watch how you print things, there is a "grain" to 3D printed items too. I've never tried it, but can annealing process to help improve strength.

Wait until your wife starts seeing all the stupid stuff you print and the spools of filament that start showing up at the front door. :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

highpockets wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Wait until your wife starts seeing all the stupid stuff you print and the spools of filament that start showing up at the front door. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HAH! She has way WAY more stuff show up at the front door than I do. Cripes, about a year ago a little slip of paper showed up stuck in the door. That was to let her know the 300lb kiln had arrived and needed to be picked up!

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Actually, one of the biggest surprises with 3D printing is the percent of 'infill' required. A 20% infill is very strong. Initially, I thought it was going to require 100%.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

gkas wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:57 pm
Actually, one of the biggest surprises with 3D printing is the percent of 'infill' required. A 20% infill is very strong. Initially, I thought it was going to require 100%.
AHAH! I love to over engineer things too. Warms my heart.

Gerry, thanks for that link to the PRUSA pdf file, interesting stuff. I did a speed read through it so in a day or so I will go back over it while the printer is working.

And, I am in trouble now. SWMBO liked the results of the little dog print. She does some work in clay so is already making a list of stamps that I can make for her. Normally I would do these things on the cnc router but quite a few of them have fine detail that does not stand up well in wood. And she wants some roller stamps. This is only going to go on a little while longer and I will order a second printer, put it in her shop so I can do my stuff on MY machine!!!!

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

TReischl wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:06 am
gkas wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:57 pm
AHAH! I love to over engineer things too. Warms my heart.

Gerry, thanks for that link to the PRUSA pdf file, interesting stuff. I did a speed read through it so in a day or so I will go back over it while the printer is working.

And, I am in trouble now. SWMBO liked the results of the little dog print. She does some work in clay so is already making a list of stamps that I can make for her. Normally I would do these things on the cnc router but quite a few of them have fine detail that does not stand up well in wood. And she wants some roller stamps. This is only going to go on a little while longer and I will order a second printer, put it in her shop so I can do my stuff on MY machine!!!!
I like the way you think. :lol:

P.S. I was perusing some new 3D Print stuff today. I realized that yeggi.com is not a model site like Thingiverse, but a Search Engine for 3D printable Models. Most sites have terrible search engines. I realized that if you put in multiple words, they seem to search each word separately!! I was trying to find '3d electrical outlet cover', and I got thousands of hits. Most all were not relevant. Besides that, Thingiverse is slow, slow, slow. Yeggi did the best search, AND somehow even the Thingiverse results came up real fast.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

John
Maker of Chips

gkas
Vectric Wizard

Post by gkas »

Thanks... The one from CGtrader looks good.