Faceshield design if anyone wants.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
gfacer

Faceshield design if anyone wants.

Post by gfacer »

As there may or may not be a shortage on these types of protective gear....and I know Prusa is making a 3D printed version of the same equipment I thought I would try a cnc routed version. The .5mm shield itself is laser cut from PETG (can be thinner than .5mm but not thicker, FYI)

Thickness can be changed as long as the faceshield holes either match or you mill the attachment areas thinner. Thicker would probably be more comfortable but may have a different spring. I used foam weatherstripping and vecro as padding and both work fine, comfortable enough for an hour of use plus.

Vectric, feel free to re share and mail out if you'd like. I'll put it up on thingiverse too.

Greg
Attachments
faceshield to share.crv
(176.5 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
facesheild pict.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Faceshield design if anyone wants.

Post by TReischl »

What is this face shield supposed to protect us from?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

I believe it is meant for hospital staff if I am correct, Quite a shortage right now.
Scott T

@scottscnc

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

TReischl wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:26 pm
Something tells me you are a prime Fox News watcher? The "fake news" is really fake news you know...

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

ezurick wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:09 am
TReischl wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:26 pm
Something tells me you are a prime Fox News watcher? The "fake news" is really fake news you know...
Is there something wrong with people who watch Fox News?

BTW, why are you trying to inject politics into this forum? It has done nicely for the 13+ years I have participated without it. I am going to hazard a guess here, but I am pretty sure the VAST majority of folks who participate are not interested in each others politics or what they watch for news. Most of us find it rather refreshing not hearing the constant bickering and childish name calling that goes along with those "discussions" and the incessant sniping like you attempted above.

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Well said, Ted. I agree 100%. Keep politics out of this little peaceful island.

Phil

JoeBlow
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AxiomAR6Pro

Post by JoeBlow »

I agree about keeping this political free. This is not the place nor the time.

However, when I read the comment "what is this face shield supposed to protect us from?", I thought to myself what a tone-deaf comment! I live in New York and people I know are very sick right now. I am incredibly worried about my wife and my father-in-law as well as others.

I applaud the OP for doing something positive!
Patrick

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

+1 Ted
OBTW, Mr. Stickler seems to have gone astray from his “sticklerness”

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

JoeBlow wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:28 pm
I agree about keeping this political free. This is not the place nor the time.

However, when I read the comment "what is this face shield supposed to protect us from?", I thought to myself what a tone-deaf comment! I live in New York and people I know are very sick right now. I am incredibly worried about my wife and my father-in-law as well as others.

I applaud the OP for doing something positive!
Hello Joe. I can understand how you may have read that and felt it was tone deaf. But I asked that question for a reason, read my comment below please. Thanks.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

I did not ask that question to be a wiseguy or make any kind of political statement.

On occasion I do some wood turning and then sanding on the lathe. A face shield similar to that one will protect the user from bits of flying debris. It does nothing at all to protect them from dust particles floating about in the air. That is a well known fact and is just the way it is designed.

Frankly, I do not know how they use one of those in hospital. I have seen them used in the dentist's office to keep from getting,,, ahh, let's not go into that. . . I suppose they might use them to keep people from inadvertently spraying them with spittle.

I think it is great that people want to help in these situations. I could be wrong about this but I am pretty darn sure if I showed up at the local hospital with a box of homemade face shields I would get a "Thanks, that is very kind of you, but hospital regulation do not permit. . . .".

As far as protecting any of us from the virus? Those won't do it.

jerry carney
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot desktop

Post by jerry carney »

Hey, Mr. e zurick is the most negative person on this forum.
Please keep your comments to CNC woodworking. Thank You

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

A shield should provide a small level of protection from airborne fluids (coughing/sneezing), but I think we're missing something here.... Everyone is being asked to wash your hands and don't touch your face. With that in mind which would you rather wear out in public? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Image 799.png
Image 800.png
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

John, ya crack me up!

My understanding of this face mask/shield thing is that it protects others from getting sprayed on by wearing one.

That seems to be the case in my extremely limited experience. One of the VA clinics I went to had a sign up that told us vets to put a mask on if we had a cough/cold. The workers were not all running around wearing masks to protect themselves from us. It is sort of like the advice we are getting now about covering up your mouth if you need to cough.

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

Face shields should be used by all health care providers now. The corona virus is transmitted from large respiratory droplets (droplets that gravity will pull to the ground within 2m of leaving the mouth or nose). Masks are useful to protect against these droplets, but once a mask is exposed to droplets, it needs to be discarded and replaced. There is a shortage of masks right now (particularly N95), so a face shield allows one to wear a mask for a longer period of time before needing to replace it. As well, it protects the eyes from droplets.

When aerosols are created (like a dentist using a handpiece in the mouth), face shields will protect your mask from water droplets but not from the aerosols. Those small droplets (not affected much by gravity) can float around the air for hours and if you do not have a properly fitted N95 mask, you can still breath those in. That is why all non-essential dental procedures have been postponed throughout most of the world.

Thus I'm stuck in my shop for the next couple months.

Thanks for the mask design! Might come in handy. I know some dentists scanning faces and 3D printing masks on carbon printers that fit the scanned face perfectly. Nice to put our machines to good use!
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thanks for that info Russell, makes sense to me!

Amazon says my 3D printer is up for delivery today. Heck, I would make the headpieces but 3D printing is all brand spanking new to me. I will consider myself lucky if I can print something usable in a couple of months.

We are laying pretty low around here but it is really not much different for us than normal. The only thing I have had to do is put a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car and tell the neighbor that as much as Murphy and he like each other to please not pet him for the duration. I think I am on Murphy's list now. . . .