Surrounding a game of CHESS

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Re: Surrounding a game of CHESS

Post by BigC »

It's all starting to come together now, still a lot of work to keep me occupied through these difficult times.
The internal drawer section is all kitted out, they are not very pretty, all butt joints, screwed and glued, but I figured it won't be seen.
Thinking ahead to the base, I was (still am) going to cover it with felt. I can't help but think I would like to lift it up ever so slightly with some kind of wood or metal feet. They would have to be shallow.
Take a look at where I'm at so far (pic) and give me your opinions regarding the foot idea and include your thoughts on style, should I make them or buy them etc.
Pre Prep 1.jpg
Regards
C

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Guess a lot will be down to personal choice, me I am an either or sort of person, if I felt the bottom of something I don't put feet on it & if I do put feet on things I don't felt them :lol: :lol:
I would actually just felt it & leave the feet off, not a big fan of feet on things, mainly because anything that I have had that has feet on it becomes an object for things to roll under :lol: :lol:

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

martin54 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:28 pm
Guess a lot will be down to personal choice, me I am an either or sort of person, if I felt the bottom of something I don't put feet on it & if I do put feet on things I don't felt them :lol: :lol:
I would actually just felt it & leave the feet off, not a big fan of feet on things, mainly because anything that I have had that has feet on it becomes an object for things to roll under :lol: :lol:
:idea: Good point Martin...

Todd D
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO V5

Post by Todd D »

This is really coming together, nice work, I hope your enjoying the learning as much as I am,

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Like the above comment C.....It's REALLY coming together:)
Personally, for something that nice, I'd probably use a good thick leather instead of felt...it deserves it:)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Today I started the prep on the Chessboard, by sealing/undercoating the MDF. It will take many hours yet before I'll be content. The hardest part was trying to keep too much sealer from clogging up the carved reliefs. Almost dry-brushing, and building the layers gradually before sanding back and reapplying more coats.
Seal 2.jpg
Seal 1.jpg
Regards
C

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great job on the undercoating! Looks really good, can't wait to see the final paint job....

Thanks for sharing....
John
Maker of Chips

jay pieper
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x4

Post by jay pieper »

BIG C
Looking really good, Sure is something when you get a design in your head and it
just has to come out. Kind of funny how one evolves, with ideas during the process.
I guess that's why big boy's play with CNC routers. Stay creative in these crazy times
enjoy reading your posts.

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Hi,
This morning I got a little final sanding done. Below decks, in the drawer compartment, I sprayed 2 coats (Black) whilst giving the Celtic Rope frieze its first coat of F&B "Studio Green" which I will then sand back and repeat. It's comming along, slowly.
Celtic Rope first coat.jpg
Below Decks.jpg
In no rush as other ideas are creeping into my head as we go along, which is a good thing sometimes :roll:
Regards
C