Carving a 3D into foam.

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jrsteurer
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko xxl

Carving a 3D into foam.

Post by jrsteurer »

I am carving a 3D object into foam. I did my roughing pass on entire surface. This reduced my start Z-axis zeroing point. My question is how to set the Z-axis when using my final finishing bit. I am zeroing off bottom left corner. Any help appreciated..

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Re: Carving a 3D into foam.

Post by Bob Jr »

Jr.
If you have any leftover foam, place a piece onto the spoilboard, near your old zero area, and set your zero from the surface of the leftover foam. This has saved me before.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Sounds like you have already carved away the original zero point surface?

If you have already removed the roughing tool the only suggestion I have is to place a piece of material the same thickness as the foam was off to one side and set Z zero from it.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I haven't done too many foam jobs, but when I did, most places, I didn't need a roughing pass. When I did, I used the same ball mill which didn't require resetting the zero position.

Gary

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

This is one reason to consider always zeroing from the table.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

This is one reason to consider always zeroing from the table.
+1 :!:
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

For some odd reason I have yet to zero from the table. . . .has just never come up. Could be cause I do not do a lot of sheet type work I suppose. One of these days I will have to and then I will need to pay attention to what is what!

Edit: Ahhh! I think I don't mostly because my z zeroing routine has a preset value that it retracts the tool after zeroing. Usually 1.5 inches above the surface so if I move the machine around I do not run into clamps. I do a lot of different thicknesses so it is not practical to keep changing that value.

Another Edit: And then there are the vises that I use a lot. Not practical to set zero on the table with them.

But some day, I am going to hafta, I just know it!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I don't know how other control systems like Mach3 work but I use WinCNC. X0 Y0 is always at the home position. If you manually set the X0Y0 all you are actually doing is setting a temporary offset. The same with Z. Z0 is always at the spoil board and manual settings are actually using temporary offsets. This takes a little getting accustomed to but makes everything easier in the long run. All settings are remembered even if the computer is shut down and the machine is re-initialized. Z0 only needs to be reset if the spoilboard is resurfaced.
Steve

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

garylmast wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:16 pm
I haven't done too many foam jobs, but when I did, most places, I didn't need a roughing pass. When I did, I used the same ball mill which didn't require resetting the zero position.
This is my method...when I cut HDU, I never use a roughing pass...it's not really necessary unless there's something really deep and you just want to have a cleaner shot at it.

But the advise to use scrap of the same material to measure your tool is spot on if you are using "top of material" as your reference. I work from machine bed 100% of the time rather than material top. Yea, I gotta measure the material before putting it down, but that's what works best with my particular machine setup.