Yearning for Purple Heart

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Yearning for Purple Heart

Post by BigC »

After cutting my teeth for quite a long time with MDF, too frightened to progress, but progress I must. So my next stage up as it were was to dabble in Oak and Mahogany.
My ambition is to one day work with "PURPLE HEART". (I love the look of this timber)
What milling characteristics would I need to employ when working with this exotic lumber in regards to feeds and speeds.
I would use this only for embellishments and details rather than full pieces.
Any educational comments appreciated
Regards
C

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Yearning for Purple Heart

Post by FixitMike »

I used the same feeds and speeds that I used for walnut. Be aware that the purple color changes to brown over time.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Just to add to what Mike said to help preserve color(as much as possible)....It carves very well.
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-arti ... tic-woods/
Be careful sanding with things like stationary belt sander, or anything that creates heat...it turns Black!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Some pieces can be splinter-y. Other than that it behaves similar to walnut for machining.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

FixitMike wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:03 am
I used the same feeds and speeds that I used for walnut. Be aware that the purple color changes to brown over time.
How do you hold the colour? by sealing it?

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I know some people swear they'll turn dark brown or whatever, call me lucky but I have never had that problem, this one I cut almost a decade ago and the purple color is as vibrant as day 1.
Not saying it won't happen to you, maybe its a matter of sub species or the climate it is stored in, but don't assume it will because someone said it happened to them. [I've got more than half a dozen others that never changed colors so this isn't a 1 off]
1 (Large).JPG
Doug

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

If it is going to go off (brown) is it all the way through the blank or is it just surface oxidation., leaving the purple underneath when sanded or planed. Or does it spoil badly?
The reason I'm asking is that I've seen some but its just a random image and maybe not the true product being offered for sale. Just something I need to be aware of.
Regards
C

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I'm not an expert & have only used a few pen blanks but they were brown when they arrived with a note from the seller to say that the wood was brown when fresh cut & if left for a few days would change colour. Sure enough it did. Advice I have seen when turning pens is to turn the pen & then leave it for a few days before finishing. Some say you can apply heat to get the prrple colour but warn you that if you apply to much heat it turns black as Scott has said :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't tend to use much in the way of exotic wood, I stick mainly to what I can but at the local sawmill :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Source: How To Make Purpleheart Very Purple
Article:
The coloring comes variety of organic compounds called conjugated dienes, that reflect visible light in both the high and low end range of the visible spectrum (from 400-700nm). Some of which have solubility in polar protic compounds like water, others of which are only soluble in organic solvents.

That’s where the magic of acetone comes in. It is highly polar, but it is non-protic, therefore it dissolves them all. And by dissolving them, they work their way to the surface and bring all of their bright beautiful purple color with them.

The ultraviolet rays from the sun then do their part and kick off the first oxidation reaction to finalize the effect.

But don’t store your piece in the sun. Further oxidation will result in chemical changes leading to brown. And nobody wants brown Purpleheart.

Follow these steps for best results:
1. finish sand your piece.
2. wet with acetone thoroughly
3. set piece in full bright sun
4. flip piece every 30 min.
5. re-wet with acetone each time you flip
6. repeat cycle for 3-4 hours.
7. let piece rest indoors for an additional day or more before finishing. (Oxidation is continuing)
8. seal thoroughly with top coat of choice. (Mine is lacquer) about 4 coats
9. put UV protectant over that (ie spar urethane, to keep your purple color. (Stops further oxidation)
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I know some people swear they'll turn dark brown or whatever, call me lucky but I have never had that problem, this one I cut almost a decade ago and the purple color is as vibrant as day 1.
I did this trunk in 2009. Although it is stored inside, it had hours of exposure to the sunlight whenever I take a drive. Maybe it was the UV Clear Coat I sprayed it preserves the color.

Gary
Attachments
European Trunk03.JPG

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated as always
Regards
C