NEWB question, moving head at end of job

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mikewinters617
Model of CNC Machine: piranha xl

NEWB question, moving head at end of job

Post by mikewinters617 »

Hi all!
I am new user... and am loving vcarve !  but there is definitely a learning curve!!!

I have a couple of NEWB questions...   :oops:

I am currently using  VCarve desktop v9.015  for a NextWave Piranha XL

So, I have set up a jig to clamp down and do a job on  a couple parts..   basically I can drop a piece in a slot/hole, clamp it down, do the job,  then pull out the piece, and repeat.   One thing that woudl make it so much easier, is if I could tell the head to move to the far right of the bed, when the job was done...  (I have to do it my hand, with the dongle now).

Seems like it should be an obvious command,  but.. I am probably not use the correct words, to try to look it up.     ANY help is appreciated!~! 

second question:  My cnc (NextWave Piranha XL) does not have home switches..   which makes it challenging to line up/reuse jigs I set up.   Can anyone point me towards any tutorial on how to cope with this?   I am managing (mostly) ..   but feel like I am probably reinventing the wheel. :?

I am going to probably post this question on forums for the NextWave/Piranha..  but the second part of the question  relates to VCarve:
1:  Can home switches be added to a Piranha XL ??
2:  Do I need a different post processor to take advantage home switches?  if I manage to add them?

Again,  thank you in advance, for any help!

Mike

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Re: NEWB question, moving head at end of job

Post by nicksilva »

Submitted with NO guarantees. Take a look at the end of this Shark File:
Capture.JPG
Presumably it has moved to the defined safe height just before this. This line moves it to the job home (which in this case was the lower left hand corner but could be anywhere). If you're feeling adventurous you can modify the x or y direction by as many inches or mm you need to get it out of the way. Remember the decimal point is very important. The G00 is a rapid movement so it's going to take the shortest path there. It's up to you to ensure there is nothing in the way it will take out.

It would be nice if NWA provided a way to directly give it commands - called Manual Data Input (MDI). I mean, even the tiny Shapeoko provides it for gosh sakes!
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

If you need to move it back and out of the way then that G0X0Y0 is not going to work very well. It needs to be a value that moves it back out of the way. The value depends on the size of your part, where you put zero and how much room you have left. If you have a part that is 5 inches in the Y and lower left is zero then you could give it a command like G0X0Y8. If you have 3 inches of travel behind the part. Another thing, it is wise to put a Z move BEFORE that G0 move to clear the part. Something greater than the Z0.200 shown in the code above. That amount can run you into clamps, nuts, etc.

I put something like that in my post processor in the trailer section. Only I do not use G0, I use G1 with a high feedrate. I am not in that big of a hurry. Unlike a lot of folks I do not put my XY zero in the lower left corner of the material for a couple of reasons. One of those reasons is that when it is on the upper edge I can use the same value in the post for every job and be safe. When it is on the lower edge it becomes job dependent on how far to move it.

Lack of limit/homing switches. You can solve that mechanically. Figure out where you can put stops on the ends of your X and Y axis where you want machine zero to be. Then, with the power off you can manually move the gantry to the stops. That will be your zero. If you go to YouTube and search up "cncnutz" he has a video in which he talks about doing this with his machine.

I sort of do a version of it even though I have a home switch. I only have one on my Y axis (the dual drive axis) so it is possible to get my gantry out of square. To realign I put stops on the end that put it into the correct position.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mikewinters617
Model of CNC Machine: piranha xl

Post by mikewinters617 »

Thank you both for your responses!!

FYI: Since i do not have switches, i have been making my home as the CENTER .. Waste board/jig have a lip, that hugs the upper edge of the table, have the file drill a 1/4 in hole dead center..... and then the jig around it. if I lose "XYZ" (like when I lost power one time..).. I can get X and Y using the hole.

So.. to make sure i understand correctly (I am a NEWB!!) :oops: there is not a command in Vcarve to do what I want, as in, moving away from the project, but if I edit the file, and add a command to move it out of the way, I can do so?

Like I said, I have been doing that with the pendant.... but i am about to do a job, where I will repeating the same job, just over 100 times...

Mike

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

mikewinters617, the 1/4" reference hole that you use for your XY zero is ok if you aren't looking for a close tolerance. In mass productions like you are referring to, I found using a V bits can get you a closer tolerance. But I needed it closer since I was working on small projects and the tolerance was necessary.

Reading your OP it seems that you plan to do a lot of production... keep in mind that most of these cheaper machines are hobby grade only. I am not trying to burst your bubble, but just be aware if you do a lot of production on a hobby machine, it is bound to wear and tear more rapidly. Again, just something to think about. My small production that I was referring to was only about 20 items.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

mikewinters617,, You may want to look at the Post Processor editing guide that comes with the software.
Check page 25 , for a section named " Footer".
If you add the G00 [XH] [YH] [ZH] to your Post processor ( in the Footer section ) you can then change the numbers in your Material Setup / Toolpath window.
This will move your head to that specific location when the project is complete,

Michael
footer.JPG
new home.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

One must be aware that for the NWA machines, the X0, Y0 is relative. You can put the command in the post processor, but the move will be relative to where the 0,0 was set in the program. For example, if you are in the habit of using the lower left corner, and then use the center for another job, the machine won't end up where you intended. However, since you use the center of the material for 0,0, and if you always place the material in the center of your table, you should be OK with a modified post processor.

The Piranha has a small carving area, so I believe a mistake could easily send the head into an X or Y hard stop.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

One should always remember that in these machines, the X0, Y0 is relative. You can put the command in the post processor, but the move will be relative to where the 0,0 was set in the program. For example, if you are in the habit of using the lower left corner, and then use the center for another job, the machine won't end up where you intended. However, since you use the center of the material for 0,0, and if you always place the material in the center of your table, you should be OK with a modified post processor.

The Piranha has a small carving area, so a mistake is more likely to send the machine into a hard limit than it is on a larger machine.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.