Saving X0 Y0 points

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
brucem26
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Saving X0 Y0 points

Post by brucem26 »

I realize that this is a Vectric forum and my question is only sort of to do with Vectric... more of a Mach3 question I guess. Apologies, I hope there is a quick answer.

I understand about homing the machine upon start up each time. X0Y0Z0
I have 3 "starting" points I routinely use for cuts on my board and I always tell Vectric that the X0Y0 point is lower left corner. How does one go about saving those 3 X0Y0 locations on my machine? Surely Mach3 can save them so I don't need to re-zero the machine before every cut.
I don't see where you can do that. Many thanks.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Saving X0 Y0 points

Post by highpockets »

John
Maker of Chips

brucem26
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by brucem26 »

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

One last question... since true HOME never changes, why do I have to "Home" my system every time I turn it on? Surely it stores those absolute G54 coordinates on disk.,. why the need to re calibrate every time?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

brucem26 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:38 pm
One last question... since true HOME never changes, why do I have to "Home" my system every time I turn it on? Surely it stores those absolute G54 coordinates on disk.,. why the need to re calibrate every time?
All those coordinates are in the system. The homing process ensures that the computer DRO and the physical machine are completely in sync. You may assume that your machine does not move when off, but that is a miss-assumption.

Steppers can "jump" a bit when turned on or off. The axes can get bumped or go out of square when off. You could move it a foot or more. Even if movement was a few thousandths, what if it moved a few each time you shut down? What about in the same direction each time?
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com