Updating or replacing 3D model in VCarve Pro

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
donoldham
Model of CNC Machine: Artisan II from Legacy Woodworking

Updating or replacing 3D model in VCarve Pro

Post by donoldham »

I have a two sided part that combines an imported 3D model with quite a few Vcarve cutting paths.

I need to make a change in the 3D model. Is there anyway to update the model and keep all the rest of the work I have done in VCarve?

My efforts so far are all rejected with "you can only have one imported 3D model". I only want one model, of course. I just want to update it with a new version of that model.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Updating or replacing 3D model in VCarve Pro

Post by highpockets »

Delete the old model and then you'll be able to import the newer version.
John
Maker of Chips

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Changing the model may not require you to redo v-carve toolpaths, especially if the updated model occupies the same space in the work. Save your file and make a copy of it so you don't lose the work you've already done. In the copied file, create a vector around the existing component, if you haven't already. Delete the bad component, import the new one, position it in the work using the vector you just created, recalculate the toolpaths and see if you can save them.
Steve Godding
D&S Artistic Woodworking http://www.dsartisticwood.com

donoldham

Post by donoldham »

I must not know how to delete the model. I highlighted it in the 2D view and deleted it. I deleted the model in the components list. But I still get the message that I can only have 1 model. What must I do to get the original model fully deleted, so that I am not prevented from loading the replacement version of the model?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

donoldham wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:08 pm
I must not know how to delete the model. I highlighted it in the 2D view and deleted it. I deleted the model in the components list. But I still get the message that I can only have 1 model. What must I do to get the original model fully deleted, so that I am not prevented from loading the replacement version of the model?
Go to the component list. Right click on the model and choose delete. I've tested that with VCarve 10 and it definitely works with imported 3rd party files. Delete the model and you can import another one.

adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Adrian wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:59 pm
Right click on the model and choose delete. I've tested that with VCarve 10...
Just last week I did the same thing with v9.519.

donoldham

Post by donoldham »

Thank you for your help. The problem I was having is because my job was two-sided. It turns out that I needed to delete the model and the limit planes from BOTH sides of the job. Even though I only import the model once, the two-sided option puts a model into the program twice, along with limit planes twice. Once I deleted the models and limit planes from both sides of the job, I was able to bring in the new model.