Project speed

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Raider
Model of CNC Machine: Cnc 3018 pro

Project speed

Post by Raider »

Question. I bought a shapeoko xxl and I'm running vcarve desktop. Everything turns out fine BUT I'm having an issue with my project time. I make sports logos on mdf 2x2 feet big. I'm using a 60 degree V bit. My projects are taking 20 hrs for a simple logo. Is this normal? Do I have to change something in my tool settings? I'm.not gonna lie, I dont understand a lot of the tool data base stuff....pls help

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Project speed

Post by gkas »

An example would help. Are you doing a Vcarve? Are you clearing large areas with the vbit? Are you using larger clearance tools (bits)? What is the Depth of Cut per pass of the vbit?

Raider

Post by Raider »

I'm just learning. My depth is 1/8 ". No clearance tool cause the one I'm working on the N and Y for the Yankees. I'm using a vcarve/engrave toolpath

joejinky
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Samson 510 CNC Plasma Table

Post by joejinky »

You probably have the step over distance set too small.

Joe
http://flic.kr/s/aHsk7y47ff

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

If you're clearing large areas with a vbit, then you NEED to be using a larger clearance tool. The vbit needs a small stepover to keep your vcarve from having lots of noticeable ridges. The clearance bit will clear out all of the larger areas.

This sign only takes 1.5 hours to carve, with extensive removal of background.
Pitmaster_preview.jpg
Joe BBQ_2.zip
Zipped crv file
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 68 times

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

All we could do is assume and probably not help much unless we know the details of your project. If you can't post the project because of copyrighted material, then explain which toolpaths you are selecting and what tools you are using for each toolpath. It would be nice to know what the settings are for each. Again, if you can post a copy of the project you would get fast help! If the project is copyrighted, then create a new project and just add a generic model and set the toolpaths and settings as you would with your original. Then we can see what the settings are and help you.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

I suggest that gkas is correct...it's essential to use a "large area clearance tool" for the kind of operation it seems you are trying to do, whether you are doing simple pocketing or doing inlays. The V-Bit should only be doing the edges and areas too small for your clearance tool. Given the scale of the pieces you describe, that's likely why your cut time is so long. That's a problem for many reason, but one of them is safety...you can't leave that machine alone while it's cutting. So when you setup your tool path in VCP, check the box for "Large Area Clearance Tool". It will spit out 2 toolpaths for you...one for the clearance while you typically run first with the larger tool (it looks wonky when it's done running because of "missing" corners, etc) and then run the second toolpath to finish things up with the v-bit.

Raider

Post by Raider »

I appreciate all the info. What would be a good clearance tool for a 2ft x 2ft sign

Raider

Post by Raider »

Plus, once the first toolpsth (clearance) is done....and my router bit raises and goes to the center....do I just liad the second file into vtransfer and press cut now?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Ummm, no. You need to change bits and set your Z zero for the new tool.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Raider

Post by Raider »

Do I need to close down and restart vtransfer for the second file