newbie needs help

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dhicks
Model of CNC Machine: piranha fx

newbie needs help

Post by dhicks »

i am new to CNC i have the piranha fx and would like to carve the union on a 10.5 by 14.5 using 3/8 cut slats the flag is 3 ft long trying to using a 90 deg v bit but its cutting too deep i have set the pass depth to 0.01 have tried to use a 60 deg v bit was told this would work but no luck any advise i like the look of the v bit tried to use the flat depth and a clear pass

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: newbie needs help

Post by dealguy11 »

It's unclear from your posting what kind of toolpath you're using. If it's a v-carve toolpath, then the depth of the cut depends on how far apart the lines are in the drawing, the geometry of the bit, and how you set the flat depth in the toolpath dialog. Pass depth has nothing to do with it. If you are v-carving, try setting the flat depth to .01 or whatever depth you choose.
Steve Godding
D&S Artistic Woodworking http://www.dsartisticwood.com

dhicks

Post by dhicks »

using a v carve tool path i like the look of the v bit i set flat depth 0.1 it just dont look the same

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If a 90 degree bit is cutting too deep a 60 degree bit is going to cut even deeper with a v-carve toolpath. You need to go the other way with a 120 degree bit.

dhicks

Post by dhicks »

Thanks for all the advice