Trimming 3D clipart

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jamin35008
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Lead 1010

Trimming 3D clipart

Post by jamin35008 »

Wondering if its possible to trim everything outside the dish or is that an Aspire only feature? If that's Aspire only, any suggestions or tricks other than resizing to hide the clip art outside the dish? I've been watching the videos but have not seen anything I'm able to do with desktop so I thought I would ask before settling and just resizing to fit. Thanks!
Capture.PNG

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Trimming 3D clipart

Post by gkas »

If you are running Version 10, then you can use level clipping. It's new in version 10. TODD THE LEVEL CLIPPING EFFECT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1cCKWviIo

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Draw a vector around the dish and in the Roughing/Finishing Toolpaths select "Selected vector(s)" under Machining Limit Boundary. Only components inside the selected vector(s) will be calculated.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

I'd also recommend adding a Zero Plane component. It will help with the rough edge around the top of the dish.
John
Maker of Chips

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

I have version 10.019 and I don't have level clipping? I see in the demo they were using v10.011. Maybe they have since removed it? The video said it was going into desktop, pro and aspire.

your way works great highpockets Thanks! Just wondering where the level clipping went?
Untitled.png

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

It does work, your just not doing it correctly.

1. Move the components you want clipped to a new level. You have all of yours in a level called Models. Create a new level. Drag selected components into level. Or, right-click on your Models level if you want everything clipped.

2. Highlight a closed vector you want to use to clip. Right-click on YOUR NEW LEVEL, not the component. This clipping will happen to everything on this level. Click on this clipping line item. That's it. You can only see the effect in the 3D view.
Level Clip.png

jamin35008

Post by jamin35008 »

gkas wrote:It does work, your just not doing it correctly.

1. Move the components you want clipped to a new level. You have all of yours in a level called Models. Create a new level. Drag selected components into level. Or, right-click on your Models level if you want everything clipped.

2. Highlight a closed vector you want to use to clip. Right-click on YOUR NEW LEVEL, not the component. This clipping will happen to everything on this level. Click on this clipping line item. That's it. You can only see the effect in the 3D view.
Level Clip.png

Thank you gkas......I will give this a try when I get home later tonight. I appreciate you showing this to me.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Draw or select the vector around the area you want to trim to and use the "Clear Area Of Selected Component Outside Selected Vector" button on the modeling tab. I'm using Aspire but pretty sure it's in V-Carve also.
Attachments
Clear Outside Vector.jpg
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

VCP Steve......I WISH :D :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Well, my bad. I have never owned a version of V-Carve and it doesn't make sense to me that V-Carve has a tool as powerful as "Level Clipping" and not have a cropping tool so I just assumed.... I guess that I should stop trying to help with V-Carve unless I'm sure of the advice. Assumptions can get one in trouble. Brown cows do give chocolate milk don't they?
Steve

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

SteveNelson46 wrote:Well, my bad. I have never owned a version of V-Carve and it doesn't make sense to me that V-Carve has a tool as powerful as "Level Clipping" and not have a cropping tool so I just assumed.... I guess that I should stop trying to help with V-Carve unless I'm sure of the advice. Assumptions can get one in trouble. Brown cows do give chocolate milk don't they?
If you want to know what is available in a Vectric program that you don't have, you can download a trial copy.

The only problem I have had with doing that to see what works, is that only the latest version will run. Earlier trial versions make you update them before you can use them.

I have often used a trial version to check my forum answer before I posted it. I've (sometimes) avoided saying something foolish about a program I don't have that way.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Mike, I thought trials versions only ran for 30 or so days. I guess I wasn't paying attention :oops: :oops: :oops:
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

"check my forum answer before I posted it" ????
I thought everyone just yattered on about stuff like I do :oops:

(No Steve...My Gramp was chief herdsman at UMO, and a cattle judge at most State Fairs....so I have it on firm authority that all chocolate milk comes from
Hershey, Pennsylvania! (of course I was 6 at the time and have since questioned his omnipotence:) )
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.