Using Marine Grade Plywood

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Using Marine Grade Plywood

Post by Barry Anderson »

Good morning. I have someone that wants letters cut out of exterior, treated plywood. Being treated, the wood is wet to some degree when purchased. Any comments and/or advice on how this will affect the cutting capability of a 1/4" end mill?
Thank you,
Barry

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

Re: Using Marine Grade Plywood

Post by carbidetooth »

I can guess at the results, but it's unclear what material you're actually going to use.

Marine plywood is typically a better grade of fir plywood with exterior glue. Thought by many to be waterproof, but not really true. It should cut fine but edges will have a little tear out and checking as is typical of softwood plywood.

Treated plywood refers to "pressure treated". A process where preservative chemicals, usually in water base, are imbued into plywood under pressure. Often colored to identify as such. Because it has so much added moisture, the wood fibers are going to be more pliable. I would expect to see a more "hairy" edge, but have never cut it on router. Because it often starts with a lesser grade of plywood, possibility of voids on inner plys is greater.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Might it be better to use Extira or sign foam for this application?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

Or exterior pvc- usually anything over 1/4" is exterior.

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by Wayne Locke »

You can get marine plywood in different hardwood species but it is expensive and difficult to find. If it is not to be submerged or on water, marine grade is probably expensive overkill. The letters will most likely be painted so an exterior ply will probably be fine. I am pretty sure that Baltic birch uses an exterior glue and would work fine.

Maybe go on a sign forum and see what they say.

The treated that I have seen all seems to be not very high quality, from a furniture maker’s perspective, construction material.

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Thank you for your replies. The concerns posted are things I have thought about, and wanted other opinions. I will check into the other material suggestions.

Barry

jerry carney
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot desktop

Post by jerry carney »

My material of choice for out door work is HDU cuts beautiful and lasts a long time . Paints well. IMHO

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Barry Anderson wrote:I have someone that wants letters cut out of exterior, treated plywood.
As in "letter shapes" and not carved into the material? How about "medium density overlay" otherwise known as sign-board? https://www.windsorplywood.com/product/ ... o-plywood/ Each face has a phenolic coating. You'd just need to seal the cut edges.

Steven

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

Yes sir, letter shapes.
Barry

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What sort of thickness & what is the intended use?
If these are for something like a shop front then wood is very rarely used because it requires to much maintenance, depenting on thickness then Acrylic, foamex or ACM would all be better choices. If they are thick letters then Randall's suggestion would be better, Channel letters are often used for thicker letters but you wouldn't be able to produce those without special software/hardware or a lot of mucking about/trial & error :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

The customer wants 3/4" thick letters to put on an existing sign. In the past she has furnished cedar, but asked about the treated plywood. The cedar she furnished was dry and brittle. Sharp corners easily broken. So I want to use something different. I checked into the costs of some of the other suggestions, and think they will be cost prohibitive for her. She changes the words every year or so, depending on what new venture she is promoting. With this, a long service life is not a requirement.

Barry