3D Roughing VCarve Desktop

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Blankenvy
Model of CNC Machine: Sainsmart 3018 Pro

3D Roughing VCarve Desktop

Post by Blankenvy »

Hey all, so I have a question about that is kind of specific to abilities, or lack thereof concerning my machine. I have one of the small 3018 desktop mills, and it works well as long as it's not pushed beyond it's limits.

Now I'm setting up a carve for one of the 3D designs from the store, and I have noticed that when I create a 3D roughing path it doesn't allow me to adjust the depth of cut per pass, and I have no doubt it's wanting to cut deeper than my machine is capable of handling. I'm using a .25 end mill for this, so I really need to be conservative is how deep it's cutting, otherwise everything goes to hell quickly. Is there a way to account for this?

I wondered if I set up 2 finish cuts, one with a .25 bit, and then the other with my actual finish bit if this will do what I want it to?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: 3D Roughing VCarve Desktop

Post by Adrian »

The roughing cut should be using the pass depth for the tool you're using as specified in the tool database/toolpath. It's the finish toolpath that doesn't use a pass depth and cuts as deep as it needs to.

Blankenvy
Model of CNC Machine: Sainsmart 3018 Pro

Re: 3D Roughing VCarve Desktop

Post by Blankenvy »

Ok, I guess I missed that setting! I was looking for the "edit pass" option like what you can use on the finish path. That makes much more sense now, so thanks!