Selecting appropriate tool for carving

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
bbb2541
Model of CNC Machine: Shark II

Selecting appropriate tool for carving

Post by bbb2541 »

I'm a rookie and am unsure as to how I select the appropriate tool for an operation. I have looked at the definitions and uses of various tools but still unsure as to which one to choose for a specific operation. Is there a tutorial or guide that I can access to help understand tool selection better?

denisddion@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom I2R

Re: Selecting appropriate tool for carving

Post by denisddion@gmail.com »

I am in the same boat as you. I have not found anything to help

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

It may be helpful to download a few of the Free Projects that appear to be similar to what your own projects are.

Although the Tool feed and speed rates in the files are subject to change (depending on your machine capabilities), the Bit selections for various tasks (Roughing, Cutouts, Finishing, V-Carving, Pocketing, Drilling, etc.) can be viewed and serve as an example you can apply to your own project layouts.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

bbb2541

Post by bbb2541 »

Thanks mtyler. That's helpful! Happy Holidays!

denisddion@gmail.com
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom I2R

Post by denisddion@gmail.com »

Do you mean free download projects from Design & Make or from Vetrics?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

denisddion@gmail.com wrote:Do you mean free download projects from Design & Make or from Vetrics?
Both!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Michael suggested downloading Vectric free projects. That is great advice. In fact, that is how I got myself started. By dissecting them and of course adjusting the toolpaths to my machine. Looking at a few projects that you like to carve, it will also give you a reference of which tools to put on the Santa list too... lol.

But for general info... My goto tools for nearly all roughing, deep carving and cut outs are both the 1/4" and 1/8" end mill. Of course you have your downcut and upcut versions. You will learn that as you go along. Most of my projects doesn't matter.

For most of the Vcarve toolpath, such as designs and lettering, my goto is a 60 Deg V bit, both 1/2" and 1/4". Depending onthe depth of the carve.

Other than that, Like Michael suggests... grab some free projects and analyze how they are doing things. All the free projects usually have a .pdf tutorial. Follow those step by step. Remember, always re-check the toolpath settings for your machine limitations. My cheapo Chinese 6040 machine is pretty sturdy.. but I am uncomfortable with just about any carving speed above 40 ipm. Unless it is just shaving off .03" for spoilboard, I stick with that.

bbb2541

Post by bbb2541 »

Thanks Ezurick. Great advice I will try your suggestions. Merry Christmas!

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

The recommendations of the members who have responded should be very helpful. I would add that by creating toolpaths with various tools and closely observing the toopath previews can be very informative. For example, for a finishing toolpath try a 3/8" roundnose bit and see how much of the carving is missed, then run the same toolpath with smaller roundnose bits such as 1/4" and then 1/8" bit. The previews have helped me greatly.
And keep asking quetions.

Phil

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

TestCuts.png
Test plate for vcarve path. I believe we used a v90 back then for this test plate.

Testing with the various cutters can clue you in quickly to which cutter and operation you are looking for.

Hope that helps.